Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Floor drain back-up, washing machine
Author: singerrh (CO)

I just started getting an immediate backup in my floor drain when I run the washing machine. I have read posts regarding this but not specific to my issue. Immediately when my washer drains, it backs up in my main line, but as soon as the water is done being pushed out the washer, my line drains quickly. I have snaked the line about 30 feet and seems clear. I am wondering if my roof stacks may be clogged causing air flow issues? None of my other drains have issues.

Re: Floor drain back-up, washing machine
Author: KCRoto (MO)

Your drain that carries the washer water and floor drain is restricted. Try pouring a 5 gallon bucket into a 2 liter bottle and you can more easily understand what is happening. It's not that your line is blocked, it is because the diameter of the pipe is reduced and it can't take the water at the rate it is coming from the washer. Get a licensed plumber out there with an electric snake and have him clean from the floor drain to the main sewer line. Make sure that your washer is empty of clothes and full of water when he comes so that he can check the problem himself, and can use the water to wash out the drain as he cleans it. An experienced drain cleaner will disconnect your washer's cold water while he cleans the drain and attach a garden hose to flush the line out while he cables it, and will test it with a full washer full of water on spin after he is done. If there is any water backing up, he will cable it again until there isn't.

Author: hj (AZ)

I AM an "experienced drain cleaner" and I have NEVER disconnected the cold water line to flush the line while I snake it.
2. There is NO "vent problem".
3. Your snake is either too small or too short, or maybe both to clear the line.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

I guess I could have said quality instead of experienced.

Author: hj (AZ)

Same thing, I still don't use the washer hose for the drain cleaning. I guess me and my machine are just so good that we ALWAYS get the drain open without flushing it, at least until after I am done snaking it.

Author: singerrh (CO)

Thanks, I will try your suggestion.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.