Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Should I go historic to 1921 Crane specs and get 1.25" tailpiece or take advantage of my 1.5" drain going into wall?
Author: Bungalocity (IL)

[archive.org]

According to the 1921 Crane catalog, the trap nut goes into a reducer tailpiece which makes it 1 1/4" assuming the standard sizing for the day, I'm guessing.

I have a chance to get the nut, but the tailpiece is made in 1.5" or 1.25".
1.5" would take advantage of the awesome size of drain performance, while 1.25" would be historically accurate, however it would create an unnecessary bottleneck in the drain and P-Trap if I do this. I want to be historically correct but would it be plausible that in the mid-20's one would see a conversion keeping it all 1.5"? It's like a $5 difference for the thicker pipe so cost isn't the issue.

If you look on pg. 8 of this catalog, you'll see my Crane Nova and all the specs a historian could ask for in the description.

Thanks! Excited.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Should I go historic to 1921 Crane specs and get 1.25" tailpiece or take advantage of my 1.5" drain going into wall?
Author: hj (AZ)

American Standard did the same thing and 1 1/4" IS the 'historical' size.

Re: Should I go historic to 1921 Crane specs and get 1.25" tailpiece or take advantage of my 1.5" drain going into wall?
Author: Wheelchair (IL)

A company that used to make some raw brass for Crane Plumbing years ago, was a company called WhiteRacker, now located in the OHare Airport area. They still make the chrome tail pieces.

Best Wishes

Thanks guys clap
Author: Bungalocity (IL)

Thanks guys, I ordered the 1.5" piece right before the 1st reply! Figured I have the opening for it and it can only help. Excited though! Nickel should be a terrific match to all the existing trim in the john...

Edited 1 times.

quote; I ordered the 1.5" piece right before the 1st reply!

In that case we wasted our time and you could have deleted the post.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

Don't sweat it Hj. Thats some soldering humor for you.

I suppose I could use Sharkbite or PEX.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.