Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Slow flushing toilet passes 5-gallon bucket test
Author: DaveMill (CA)

Hi, all,

I have a older toilet (not low-flow) that flushes slowly, in that it takes more than 15 seconds after flushing for the bowl to empty. Often paper does not go down, instead just spinning and floating during the flush cycle. However, when I pour a 5-gallon bucket of water into the bowl, it empties as fast as I can pour, within 5 seconds or so.

My question is, why the slow flushing?

Thanks! This is by far the most informative plumbing forum on the net. The experts here are amazing!

Re: Slow flushing toilet passes 5-gallon bucket test
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Clogged rim holes ?

Author: KCRoto (MO)

Your aging stool is full of calcium. From the tank to the bowl there are passageways that deliver the water around the rim, and through the bottom jet (on most, but not all toilets). As calcium builds up, it slows the water going into the bowl, and it takes longer to flush, then may start double flushing, and eventually just spins and won't clear paper and waste. At this point, you can try using acid and cleaning the jets and whatnot, but unless it is a custom color toilet or something similar, you would be far better served by getting a new stool. I would recommend a Toto Drake.

Author: packy (MA)

CLR is worth a try. shut the water off to the toilet. flush all the water out of the tank and pour a bottle of CLR down the overflow. it should be strong enough to clean away calcium deposits.

Thank you smile

Thank you, North Carolina Plumber, KCRoto and Packy. I didn't mention that we have very hard water, which matches all of your diagnoses perfectly.

Have a great day!

Edited 1 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

and/or

using a small mirror (wife's old compact is perfect)

use pipe cleaners or toothpicks or (CAREFULLY) nails clean out the rim holes

the holes are not 'square' outlets but angled to start a 'swirling' effect - be careful when 'rodding' not to chip china

this is a bi-annual chore

smiling smiley

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: m & m (MD)

Most importantly, if there is a siphon jet hole at the bottom of the bowl (about 1" dia.), be sure that it is open. A stopped siphon jet will produce the very symptoms you describe.

Author: Plumber3 (FL)

I also use a metal coat hanger to clean out the jet holes under the rim inside the bowl. But go easy, bend the coat hanger straight then just feed the end of the coat hanger in and swirl it around in a circular motion. Remember that theses holes are also aimed at an angle so try to maintain that angle when cleaning. The guy that said CLR through the flush valve under the flapper and let it soak in is spot-on.

Thanks to everyone for the advice on the cause and the Toto! clap

Quick update: As all of you predicted, the problem was clogged jet holes. We decided to replace the old, slow-flushing toilet with a new Toto Drake. With 1/3 the water, the Toto now flushes quickly and completely. Plus we got the elongated bowl which is nice.

Thanks to everyone for the advice on the cause and the Toto!

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.