Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Bathtub Waste Installation Question: Flange above the floor.
Author: nordee (MA)

I'm installing a new acrylic tub in a roughed-in bathroom. I have a vented waste pipe under the floor, and easy access to everything by just lifting up the subfloor...no finishes anywhere yet.

When the tub is sitting on the floor the bottom of the drain flange ends up maybe 3" above the floor. I spent some time looking for a "straight" waste shoe (if that makes sense), thinking that I would attach it to the flange, then run it straight down through the floor into the trap.

But nothing like a 'straight' waste shoe seems to exist, nor can I find a long drain flange. Am I missing something? Is there a drainage reason why there needs to be a 90 degree bend right after a short flange?

As it stands now my plan is to put in a couple more joints: a 90 after the shoe, then a straight run down through the floor to the trap.

Re: Bathtub Waste Installation Question: Flange above the floor.
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Instead of a 90 , you need a tee and come out of the top of the tee and go to the overflow of the tub.

Author: hj (AZ)

You are confusing us with your description of a "straight flange" and 90s. How about a drawing, or better yet a photo of what you are trying to do.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

If you are in Massachusetts, you aren't allowed to do your own plumbing regardless.

Author: packy (MA)

gerber 41806 is what you are looking for.
[www.newegg.com]
any plumbing supply house will have one.
make sure to get one with brass nuts..
call deval and ask him "why will i be fined for performing plumbing in my own home?"
you will have to hurry because deval is leaving in a few weeks.

Thanks for the replies!

The newegg link looks perfect, except that I don't have an overflow.

Here's a beautiful cross-section diagram of where I'm at. It's not perfectly to scale but pretty much represents how things are arranged.

The Blue line represents using the waste shoes that I can find.
The Red line would be a straight shot.

Everything below the floor is PVC. I'm happy to use brass if you guys think it's a better idea. the drain flange that I have is chrome.

Edited 2 times.

where do you get a new acrylic tub that has no overflow?
anyway, what you want to do is hook up the tub drain like a kitchen sink drain but use a tub flange.
you want this type kit and throw away the overflow part.

[www.amazon.com]

We got the tub from Signature hardware. Apparently this forum doesn't allow me to post links to their site, but you can search SignatureHardware dot com for "Sheba"

We bought a factory second off of eBay for about half price (quite a deal).

I have a waste shoe exactly like the one you linked, but you'll notice that it's got a 90 degree bend, so if you look at my diagram it's like the blue path: it would require me to attach another 90 above the floor to aim it down towards the trap.

I was hoping to not have to the extra joint, but maybe it doesn't matter.

Edited 3 times.

if you installed that flange with an overflow, it would have another 90 heading it back towards the floor. only thing is that 90 would be a tee for the overflow as well.

Author: hj (AZ)

They make an ABS drain flange, called a "tray plug adapter", that you screw your "flange" into and then connect it to the system with 1 1/2" pipe going straight down.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

They are commonly used in mobile homes.

Thank you very much. clap

It looks like "Tray Plug Adaptor" was what I was looking for. Thank you very much.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.