Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 tankless coil replacement
Author: henry (MA)

Have a 20 yr old Burnham cast iron boiler. Tankless coil needs replacement. Service man said because of excessive rust may not be able to mount new coil.What are my options, besides a new boiler,

Re: tankless coil replacement
Author: packy (MA)

why does it need to be replaced?
if it is not producing enough hot water you can add a storage tank.
what happens is that a bronze circulator circulates the hot water from your coil into a storage tank.
the tank is called an aqua booster.
this is one brand..
[www.vaughncorp.com]
this is the cheapest way out.
another option is to add an indirect water heater. this is a good way to go but costs big bucks..

Its still producing plenty of hot water, but serviceman said when it does go they wont be able to attach new coil to boiler because of excessive rust on face plate of existing coil, in other words they will have to break bolts and re drill and tap threads. But there may not be enough meat left on boiler to do that.

"but serviceman said when it does go"..
what does that mean?
in other words, define "go"..

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

When the bolts break off, I just drill thru the remaining stud and remove them. No need to drill into the boiler or retap anything.

If it begins leaking into boiler can cause excessive pressure. Mainly concern was rust damage to boiler base where coil bolts on. Said bolts would have to be drilled out and retapped. Just dont know what damage there is until its taken out. Dont know if welding cover plate over coil opening is an option, then getting seperate on demand heater.

Maybe worrying about nothing, but it sounded like its possible for base that coil bolts to can be so rusted that its impossible to retap.

i have only seen one coil develop a pinhole and overpressurize a boiler.
it is not a very common occurance.
i have however seen a few rusting tankless plates that caused damage.
there can be slight damage to the flat surface on the boiler caused by rust but that takes a very long time and does not just all of a sudden start gushing.
worse comes to worse, you inject a little boiler sealing compound into the system and seal up the leaks from the inside. this will buy you a few more years.
i have never seen a plate welded over the tankless opening. welding cast iron is something not all welders are capable of.
if you want to post a picture, i'll be happy to give you my personal opinion.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

juuuust a possibility:

pressure down system

remove and replace bolts ONE AT A TIME

~ use an impact gun set LOW and a lot of patience when removing each bolt

if it 'snaps' - use an extractor tool/system to remove 'stud'

use never-seez on replacement bolt

at one per day in your spare time ?!

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Thanks for all the advice smile

Thanks for all the advice, too bad I'm not a plumber. Have to rely on heating dealer. Don't want to get screwed by someone telling me they can't replace it and need a new boiler.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Thanks for all the advice smile
Author: bernabeu (SC)

my way is too costly unless you DIY

I can't help further unless I see the actual job

best of luck

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.