Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Grinding Pumps
Author: matchone (MD)

So my grinding pump alarm went off the other day. Long story short, the local water company came out and said that the pump was clogged with two tampons and a condom. I was shocked when they said condom because I haven't used one in years. Me and my wife have lived in the house for a year. My question is, is there some magical way that a condom could have just now got sucked up, a year later after the previous tenants left or should I get the divorce papers ready? Any input would be helpful. I know they can sit for years in a septic system, but I have a pump in my yard that goes to city sewer. Thanks

Re: Grinding Pumps
Author: KCRoto (MO)

No offense, but I'm not touching this one.

Author: m & m (MD)

Both objects are 'floaters' and tend to stay on the surface so they could be old news. You probably do not have a grinder pump (very expensive) but rather just a sewage pump. A grinder would have chewed both items up without blinking.

Both objects are 'floaters' and tend to stay on the surface so they could be old news. You probably do not have a grinder pump (very expensive) but rather just a sewage pump. A grinder would have chewed both items up without blinking. In the future, a sewage pump should only receive human waste and toilet paper.

Author: hj (AZ)

My septic pumper told me that on one ocassion a tank was full of condoms. When he told the husband that they should not be flushed down the toilet, he said he had had a vasectomy so had not needed condoms for many years. In that instance there were divorce papers.

Even a grinder pump has a small opening into the volute so things can get caught there before they reach the grinder.

Thanks for the input guys. Another thing I was wondering is, do pump holding tanks also have a floating layer or is everything pumped out?

If the pumped removed "everything" it would probably fail because of ruined bearings and seals. They ALWAYS leave some liquid in the tank and therefore, anything that is floating will stay on top of that layer.

Thanks for the help thumbs

Got ya, thanks for the help. Not trying to sound paranoid, I'm pretty sure any guy in my shoes would have raised their eyebrows at the situation.

Edited 1 times.

The volute opening on a grinder would be no smaller than a sewage pump- maybe larger. That is the problem with flushing non-degradables into a sewage pump. It can pull them into the volute where they will lodge and jam the impeller.

They can also jam in the opening to the volute before they enter the pump.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.