Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Bonding cable
Author: yonson (SC)

I just relocated my electric water heater. When I reinstalled it I used Pex to reconnect. Do I have to keep the bonding cable on now? I think not since the ground has been broken with using the Pex. Do I need to keep that bonding cable in place and splice it to a copper pipe that runs through the crawlspace now? I am thinking I should re establish that ground somehow. Thoughts?

smileys with beer

Re: Bonding cable
Author: KCRoto (MO)

The only reason it is bonded is because @#$%& cable/satellite installers ground the boxes to water lines and not a proper ground. Your electrical should be grounded to your service panel and a jumper installed so you have a complete circuit. Or simply have a proper ground installed and get everything bonded to the water line off of it.

Author: hj (AZ)

If the former heater was installed properly it would have had dielectric connections so the heater was NOT part of the bonding circuit, so you using PEX did not change anything. However it was connected then is how you have to do it now.

Author: mr leak (CA)

When one uses pex then bonding is not used as this would be similar to trying to bond or ground a water hose. However if there is copper water pipe present in the crawl area the pipe has to be incorporated in the bonding grounding even if there are other ground systems such as a ground rod or ufr foundation re bar The ground attachment to the copper pipe is to be within the first 5 feet of the crawl entrance to the under floor area Hope this helps

Author: KCRoto (MO)

The only reason that water systems are bonded is because it was an easy way with metallic water lines to get a good ground. It didn't require the electricians to run a separate grounding rod outside since the water line was in contact with 20'+ of earth already. It was simply a shortcut then, and is a shortcut now. With non-metallic plumbing becoming more prevalent in residential homes, electrical code will be changing if it hasn't already. When there are household appliances grounded directly to the water lines, it becomes not just lazy, but potentially destructive or dangerous. When replumbing some galvanized in a house a few years back, the ground to the satellite boxes was attached to the water line.. thankfully not to the gas line that was less than a foot away.. and it arced when I removed the clamp. If that clamp had been loose, and the water hammer from the pipes had caused arcing, it could have easily caused a house fire.

Author: packy (MA)

in massachusetts the electricians must run 2 grounds.
one to the metal water main and one to a ground rod.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

NEC:

the electrical 'system' must be properly grounded with the neutral bonded to the ground 'element'

the plumbing piping (if metallic) must be 'bonded' to above grounding system

there is NO 'I think' but merely code requirement(s)

ps. the current returns to the power station via the EARTH (to which the neutral has been bonded)

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: bernabeu (SC)

in massachusetts the electricians must run 2 grounds.
one to the metal water main and one to a ground rod.

potentially misleading

the electrical system must be grounded PROPERLY as per code

the metallic plumbing system ITSELF must be 'bonded' to said grounding system (so that one can NOT be shocked by a 'live pipe' and/or faucet or other fixture)

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.