Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 What's Needed To Replace Leaky Kitchen Faucet?
Author: JamesAA (CA)

My kitchen faucet has developed a slow drip. I do NOT know the manufacturer of the faucet. No brand name written anywhere on it. It's pretty cheap though. Probably paid $15 or $20 for it.

What needs to be replaced, typically?

Is the fact that I don't know the make of my faucent going to be a problem when buying replacement parts?

Lastly, will a slow drip/leak increase my water bill? I can't imagine a tiny leak setting the meter off, but I don't know.

Thank you very much, in advanced.

James

Edited 1 times.

Re: What's Needed To Replace Leaky Kitchen Faucet?
Author: bernabeu (SC)

for the price of repair parts on a $20 faucet - time for a new $20 faucet

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: packy (MA)

if you are lucky enough to find the exact same 20 dollar faucet, you can canibalize the new faucet. remove the handles, stems, spout and anything else and install them into the old faucet body.

Author: hj (AZ)

If you do not know the make and model of the faucet, you can't even buy repair parts for it. The parts are NOT generic, but are specific to that faucet.

Author: Lloyd C (DE)

You will need a new faucet to replace it. While purchasing the faucet just see that it should fit your sink. . Your sink will have one, two, or three holes for the faucet. Plus, the holes will be either centerset or widespread. Make sure you have this information when you’re shopping

quote; You will need a new faucet to replace it.

REALLY? Is that your solution when a faucet needs to be repaired? Especially a "generic" one like this.

one can charge a service call + parts to repair a $20 faucet

or

one can charge a service call + a cheap faucet to replace the old

same labor, couple $$ difference for material = happy customer

quote; one can charge a service call + a cheap faucet to replace the old

You are assuming the faucet is one that does not create a project when you try to remove it. And WHY would I replace a "cheap faucet" with another cheap faucet? I haven't "furnished and installed" a "cheap faucet" in decades. I say "decades" because I cannot remember when the last one was.

yeah yeah yeah

smiling smiley

Author: vic (CA)

hj,

I love you smile and most of your advice is great and certainly coming from a lot of experience however I have to say that sometimes ..... sometimes .... sometimes .... (for us old-timers think Norton from the Honeymooners) .... sometimes hj ..... some .... times .... you CAN be a little too rough on others.

Love,

smile

Vic

Only when I have to be and they deserve it. But then I was "rough" on my future wife's brother, uncles,and other journeymen when they worked for me while I was an apprentice, and afterwards, so it is not a "new" thing.

Author: vic (CA)

hj,

I guess the word "deserve" is where you and I see things differently. Maybe I misunderstand what you are saying.

During my plumbing apprenticeship there were a few top notch very experienced plumbing journeymen who I worked under who treated me badly. I believe some of them did so because they had been treated badly when they started in our trade or had been beaten down by their parents or whatever. I think some of them felt that I "deserved" to be treated badly.

One of the most memorable journeyman that I have ever worked under was Erwin who was an Auschwitz survivor. Erwin had a numbered tattoo on his arm and he had a strong accent and wasn't always the easiest to understand. He was an amazingly skilled and well rounded with experience and knowledge journeyman plumber. He treated me exceptionally well and with respect. Respect as a human being and even though I was an almost total novice in plumbing he never put me down or made snide remarks about my ignorance in our field. He is still in me ...... I'll never forget Erwin even today. He was a great man who never felt that anyone deserved anything but kindness.

Vic

vic,

? hj ?, rough, gruff ? ~ no way !

he is a pussy cat compared to many I have had the pleasure to partner with

smiling smiley

Now, you are hurting my feelings, and destroying an image it has taken me years to build up.

Edited 1 times.

wink

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.