Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 installing toilet
Author: rock76 (SC)

I have a 60 yr old toilet that needs replaced, it is held down by 4 lag type bolts. Problem is the cast iron pipe is about 1/2 to 1 " above the floor surface. I want to install a toilet that sits about 16" high, should i build a base up to the level and install a flange? and if so what can i build it with so it doesn't look unsightly. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what i should do. People at lowes or home depot have no idea of what i'm trying to do HELP.

Re: installing toilet
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Do not build a base. If the flange is sitting on the finished floor simply break the cast iron off flush with the flange and install the toilet of your choice. If the flange is above the floor it must be lowered then break the cast iron off.

Author: packy (MA)

the solution might be a simple as my friend from NC suggests.
it is hard to say without seeing the situation.
can you provide a picture?

Author: bernabeu (SC)

proper toilet flange mount:

the flange rests ON TOP OF THE FINISHED FLOOR

whether or not you need a new flange would depend upon what you have now

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: rock76 (SC)

Thanks for the reply, i'm planning on removing toilet tomorrow will see then more detail,been using memory from past. I just know i have never seen another like this since it is just a straight cast iron pipe without a flange.Just a little scared of cutting or breaking an old cast pipe for fear it may shatter or crack and end up with a major repair instead of just installing a toilet.Thanks.

Author: hj (AZ)

quote; If the flange is above the floor it must be lowered then break the cast iron off.

If the toilet is anchored with 4 screws and the cast iron is higher than the floor, it probably does NOT have a flange. Call plumber to remove some concrete, install a flange, then lower the cast iron, in that order.

You don't show the two notches where a competent plumber would install the bolts. A competent plumber knows how to orient the flange so he doesn't need those "arcs" to put the bolts in the right place. I was in the business a long time before they started making flanges with those arced slots, which weakened the flange.

hj,

not my pic, merely a linked image designed to show ELEVATION

personally, I actually use a square and mark for the two slots you mentioned

smiling smiley

I measure to the center of the two slots, but anything works as long as they are parallel to the back wall.

.....or perpendicular to the perpendicular

since both of those would be vertical, the lines would be parallel.

smiling smiley

Author: FayRivera (CO)

Installing a toilet is the work of a professional plumber only they can do it perfectly. To install toilet you have to turn off the water to the toilet, remove the tank lid, use the rag to pick up any remaining water, disconnect the water supply line. These are the few steps of installing toilet. Its better first you inspect the flange then only use it for toilet installing.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.