Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Price Pfister Tub faucet does not mix the water
Author: cesarrios28 (AZ)

I have a single handle price pfister shower and tub faucet, that is about 14 years old. Recently we started noticing that the hot water wasn't coming out as hot as it was in the sink faucet. It eventually got to the point where the hot water wouldn't turn on and we had to quickly turn the faucet off and then turn it back on. When we did that we would hear a thump in the wall and the hot water would come one. Sometimes we could regulate the water to where it was warm, other times it would just be a little hotter than what we would consider normal. I have replaced the mixing cartridge and that didn't seem to make a difference.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Cesar Rios

Re: Price Pfister Tub faucet does not mix the water
Author: KCRoto (MO)

It sounds like a bad pressure balancing unit

Author: hj (AZ)

If he replaced the cartridge with a "modern" pressure balanced cartridge, the PB unit is integral with it, and I do not think he could have found one of the old 'two piece" units.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Did you try flushing the housing with the cartridge removed ? Did you have hot water?

Best Wishes

Author: cesarrios28 (AZ)

Hot water does come out of the show faucet after we hear the thump in the wall.

Here is a picture of what I replaced. [www.amazon.com].

This almost sounds like it's only the cartridge that I replaced and the balancing unit is a separate piece? Or did I replace the balancing unit only? Now that I think about it, it makes more sense that I replaced the balancing unit, which is what "mixes" the cold and hot water.

Thanks,
Cesar

Edited 1 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

I didn't know anyone still had those. The "proper" one is now a one piece unit with the valve and balancer as a unit. Call 1-800-PFAUCET and they will send you the complete unit.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.