Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Noise damper pipe vibration leaks
Author: gdtrfb (IN)

A portion of my 1" black iron gas line was transmitting a vibration from my gas furnace to the living quarters. I then removed the pipe strapping and put a foam damper between the pipe and all the places it was touching wood and then reapplied the strapping.

The noise has ceased.

I am certain it was slight vibration from the furnace and not the regulator or something.

However, if put your ear up to the pipe you can still hear that same vibration in the pipe. You can even feel it a bit for the first few feet out of the furnace until it hits my damper material.

This might sound paranoid, but should I be concerned that the vibration from a gas furnace to the gas line could cause leaks at fittings, elbows, unions etc along the piping over time?

Edited 2 times.

Re: Noise damper pipe vibration leaks
Author: packy (MA)

you are addressing the symptom not the problem.
find and fix the cause of the vibration.

Im not sure its a problem per say? Its a new furnace. There is no noises around the furnace and everything functions as normal.

I have to think that some vibration would be normal? Should there be none?

What about a whole house generator, surely one of those beasts sends vibration thru piping?

Author: Paul48 (CT)

No noises at the furnace, but what is moving, when and why?

Author: packy (MA)

yes they do but gas generators are connected to the gas supply with a special rubber connector.

No noises at the furnace, but what is moving, when and why?

What I meant was Just normal operating sounds.

Put it this way.... if you stood next to a furnace and put your ear onto the gas line, is it abnormal to hear a resonance inside the pipe when the furnace is running? Or should you only hear the flow of gas? When furnace stops running, there is no resonance in the pipe.

Edited 1 times.

Author: Paul48 (CT)

It could be completely normal, or not. Until someone looks at it, and figures out,"what is moving, when, and why", who knows. It could be as simple as loose bolts on a blower housing.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

Just because a furnace is new doesn't mean that the manufacturer didn't get a load of sub-par components when they were building them.

Author: Fixitangel (NC)

quote: I have to think that some vibration would be normal?
Bingo. Two gold stars for you.

Should there be none?

Yes. When the unit cycles off.

I am a musician with an actute ear. I can hear my next door neighbor's radon fan running over fifty feet away. Strange noises don't bother me as long as I can identify what the source is.

If your "noise" is so LOUD that the only way you can hear it is to put your ear against the pipe when it is running, and everything else is working fine, you might be "over-thinking" the situation.

P.S. If you want to hear strange noises, come listen to my poor old Ford E-150 start up on a cold morning.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

if, and only if, you have the requisite knowledge:

'jump start' the blower motor/fan assembly ONLY and see if you get the same 'vibration'

if yes, contact the mfgr. and ASK if normal

if not, the vibration comes from the gas equipment ~ demand a factory authorized service check ~ the solenoid internal to the gas valve, while a buzz/hum is normal, should not be loud enough to be annoying much less vibrate attached piping

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

No, but you SHOULD be concerned that it is even vibrating because that indicates a problem, possibly an undersized gas line, but whatever it is it should NOT be happening.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.