Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Fill holes around pipes coming into shower enclosure (pics)
Author: bar (AZ)

Hello All,

I wanted to know what I should use to fill these holes around where the pipes emerge into my shower enclosure. Our house is 40 years old and there does not seem any evidence of anything used here before.

The top hole is surrounded by drywall and the bottom is what I think is fiberglass shower enclosure.

My plan was to use plumbers putty around the hole and then 100% silicon around the top of the escutcheon. But now I am wondering if that is a good idea and I should just let it be as is, and as it was.

Thank you for your time and input.

Re: Fill holes around pipes coming into shower enclosure (pics)
Author: hj (AZ)

The arm does not need anything, and the chrome plate that fits on the bottom one should have a foam rubber ring around the edge to seal it.

Author: bar (AZ)

Hi Hj, thanks for your reply.

The chrome plate does not have a foam rubber lining. Probably fell off but it actually still looks new.

I cannot seem to find a suitable mixet replacement that is 1.25 inches with a foam backer... or I have to pay like $30 a pop... do you think I can caulk around the edge of the chrome plate with silicon (with a little gap at the bottom) and call it a day?

thanks

Author: packy (MA)

as long as the escutcheon fits tightly against the fiberglass, you don't need anything.
just snug the plate firmly.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Double faced foam strip/tape.

Best Wishes

Author: bernabeu (SC)

shower head: some plumber's putty then 'squish' the escutcheon on

shower valve: the manufacturer's 'trim kit' will be required

unless: duct tape + vice grips are OK

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.