Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Gas tape
Author: ericsandstone (TX)

The job which was to be done:

Add a gas line from basement. Extend it outside up through basement and into the back of house exterior where a patio (possibly all seasons) is being built. Once outside piping was transitioned using anode less risers. From Anode less riser, the piping was to be placed in trench and to have electrical trace tape attached to the tubing. Tubing was placed in trench and run to termination point with second anode less riser. Once inspection of tubing and electric trace wire had passed, fill trench then concrete was to be poured for the slab of deck.

The application I suppose was for the people to have a gas outlet for future grilling purposes.

Results from what I hear are mystifying me.

I was on this job as the junior journeyman (not in charge).

1) The point inside of the basement where we were told to extend the piping from was failed by inspector because they wanted the piping tap to be closer to the meter.

2) This morning I get the clue that a second inspection failure has surfaced... The senior journeyman was asking me if I could remember whether we had put the electrical trace tape in with the tubing. I could not recall as I don't always have perfect recollection of details. He could not recall either.

I was told that the failure (2) was due to inspector not seeing the tape out of one end. Apparently the concrete has been poured.

Here are the things which Mystify me.

A) I made it a point to bring up the electrical tape issue prior to laying the tubing in trench with the senior journeyman. I had also inquired about the tape needing to be exposed on the home exterior side of the run. I wanted to make sure it was done right and was also inquiring because my residential plumbing is not very sharp due to a long hiatus. This may be why I did not recall if we installed tape or not. I reminded the man in charge that it needed to be done.

b) I would like to think that the inspection should have taken place for the tubing at the point of where it and the tape were not buried but, rather un-covered in the trench.

Why would an inspector come to view this post burial and slab pouring?

It occurs to me that the concrete may well have been poured in such manner as to bury the exposed tape close to home... I can imagine the person in charge not liking how it looked.

c) Why on earth is that guy asking me if I can remember if we did that? Good God!!! I even brought it up so he would be sure to do it!!!

?) Which party is responsible if the tape is down in that trench with the tubing but, was covered by concrete?

?) True that the tape needs to be exposed close to home because to trace the tape a person would have to attach a tracer to the tracer wire for it to work?

If the tape is down there but, not exposed; is there a way to detect it's presence?

I did residential when first in plumbing for about 7 months and then took a long union hiatus. I've been back at it (residential) for almost two months now and am amazed at what people who've been doing this for years don't seem to know pat.

Re: Gas tape
Author: steve (CA)

#1 ? - I feel the installer of the wire is at fault, for not securing the wire end(s)to make sure the end(s) stay above the finished grade of the concrete.

#2 ? - If one end of the wire is exposed, have it traced and see if it is readable for the full length of the gas pipe. Maybe the non-exposed end got pushed down just below the surface of the concrete. If that's the case, see if the inspector will allow the installation, being the entire route is traceable or maybe just a little concrete at the non-exposed end needs to be removed and wire brought up above grade.

Author: packy (MA)

someone buried the pipe BEFORE it was inspected?
how does the inspector know how deep the pipe is?
that alone would bring up a red flag.

Author: hj (AZ)

WHO did the first inspection? It appears it was not the building department, otherwise they would not have come back for a second inspection. What do you mean by "gas line tape", because normally you bury a wire with the gas line, and if there is any tape involved it is placed in the ditch about 3-6" above the pipe as a warning to diggers that it is there. I can not imagine anyone installing the tape or wire and NOT remembering if it was done, because there is a certain amount of work involved to secure it to the gas line every so often. The risers SHOULD have anodes in them, not be "anodeless", to protect the metal portions of the risers.

I'll post more as I find it out.

Today I did not get a chance to glean info.

The person who was asking me the "did we run tape?" question may well have very bad memory issues and if that is so then the facts may be entirely different.

As to why inspected after buried and slabbed... I do not know why and think that defies the logic of the process which is supposed to occur.

As to the difference between tape and wire... ok, I think I get it. Two separate animals. One to warn those who dig and the other for the purpose of finding the tube.

This other person was the one to go back the day after we left it at the point of where it was in trench and not buried.

He told me in a short conversation that he was to be the one to go back the next day to run the tape. I have not heard anything about them burying wire.

I will review although I know none of you need it... I have had this hiatus from residential so, my edge is not sharp. I will check out my gas code tonight to understand when tape and or wire is called for. The book happens to be the commentary edition which I like a bit more than the other.

As to my mistaking the risers as anode less... my terms are a bit rusty as well. Transition fitting a little better? Both are shaped like els, quite long (2'-6"?) and are metal so that the tubing can be stabbed into it.

Maybe I'll ask the more reliable source, the owner to get the facts of what went down.

Author: Paul48 (CT)

Ignorance is bliss. Keep asking and you'll own it.

Got it. Just listen.

I gathered that the man who was the senior journeyman at that job knows better than to place tubing in with out tracer wire and tape. This info from the company's best mechanic who worked over him for 4 years.

He did not put in both tape and tracer wire as he was supposed to.

He and another man went out I suppose to correct the mistake.

If it was breaking up concrete, uncovering the pipe and placing the wire and tape in; I am glad I was not there. I would truly be angry to have to correct the mistakes of a plumber with more residential experience who knows better than to 1/2 work gas tubing into the ground.

I said to the mechanic who shared the details that, I think the problem with that fellow is English not being his strongest suit. He came back with, "I agree."

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.