Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 replacing a faucet on an old cast iron sink
Author: KCDIYER (MO)

I have a 100-year-old 5' cast iron kitchen sink (single basin with a "drainboard" on each side). The holes for the faucet are on the sink backsplash, 8" on center. Can I buy any off the shelf wall mount faucet and be able to securely attach it to the sink? I'm wondering because the thickness of the sink at each hole is only 3/8" and the diameter of each hole is 1 1/2".

Re: replacing a faucet on an old cast iron sink
Author: bernabeu (SC)

yes

they attach with either an adapter with a male thread or one which requires a
'close' nipple

be careful, sometimes there is a large washer BEHIND the sink, instead of the proper 'wide flanged' elbow

remove your existing faucet by breaking the adapter and then CARFULLY unscrew the offset adapter looking carefully with a small light as you go

it is obvious when actually 'seen'

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Thank you. This is starting from scratch. I took the sink out of the kitchen years ago when we remodeled. But my wife wants me to plumb the back porch and install it there for working on plants, etc. I have none of the original faucet pieces or adapters. That's why I asked about trying to secure a new faucet to the sink. I saw a kit on a restaurant supply site that gave me some hope but also made me think there's possibly more to doing this than I anticipate.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

If the sink isn't installed yet, it is much easier as you can work on both sides at the same time. If the back porch is unheated, make sure you can disconnect and drain the lines after the season is over. If you wanted to make the sink mobile, you could make a frame and mount it and use a garden hose as a water supply and use a single line faucet like this

There are a number of possibilities

Author: bernabeu (SC)

while there are several types/designs the basic idea is:

the olden days used the top style with a 'flanged ellbow'

see: [www.plumbingsupply.com]

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

Got it. Thanks to both of you.

And I'm figuring that the reply I got from KC had a between-the-lines offer to help me hoist the 250 lb. monster into place once I'm ready.

lol, no…. I don't live in KC anymore anyhow. I would recommend a minimum of 2 people (4 is better) and some 'slip sticks' to set the sink on before it's final resting spot. You can safely pull the sticks out to drop the sink the last little bit. I have used 3/4" scrap that we used to lay the Formica countertops and had sitting around the site.

I was kidding, of course. I intend to again conscript the nephews who horsed the clawfoot tub from the second to third floor around a 180 degree turn many years back.

And I was really hoping one or of you would have written back to tell me what an incredibly bad idea this was so I could show that to my wife.

Edited 1 times.

I think that it is a bad idea to connect it permanently to your home's water supply, but a removable connection via a garden hose is actually quite feasible and relatively painless (as long as you don't have to lift the sink). You can run the drains to buckets and reuse the water on plants. It can also double as a prep station for your backyard cookouts. If you live in the KC area and try to tell me you don't grill out, I won't believe you.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.