Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 touchless faucets/ toilet service calls
Author: Fixitangel (NC)

I've been reading up on touchless faucets and toilets. From my years of service work, I have to wonder what could go wrong with them. The main issue I see is they all depend on batteries to function. If the batteries are good. it is possible to to switch them from manual to touchless mode by tapping the faucet six times, waiting four seconds, and tapping the faucet six more times. However, if the batteries are dead, does it default to manual handle operation?

In the installation video,they show putting the battery power pack in the bottom of the kitchen cabinet. I'm not a big fan of that, as I usually encounter so much stuff crammed under the sink the doors will barely close. Sure, these systems have little blinking LED lights to indicate low battery condition, but most of the end users I encounter seem oblivious to these details. If these touchless devices catch on, guess I'll need to carry more AA batteries on the truck.

Another concern is if the little black electronic box goes bad, is there a way to by-pass it to restore function to the fixture until a replacement part can be shipped from the mfg. or is the end user SOL in the interm?

Re: touchless faucets/ toilet service calls
Author: packy (MA)

"by tapping the faucet six times, waiting four seconds, and tapping the faucet six more times."
don't forget closing your eyes, clicking your heels and saying "there's no place like home"...

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

I believe the advantages... out weigh any negative issues. Like any electricial device, if it works during the 1st 24 hours... it will work, forever. Much depends on the brand and type of faucet and whether battery or low voltage transformer.

Sensor and touch faucets, are not new. They have been in the commerical market for more than a decade. Warranties are also most important.
Best Wishes

Author: hj (AZ)

The one I installed Friday uses the handle for normal operation and the "touchless" function to dispense a flow of predetermined temperature water. The two functions are separate.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.