Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Soft Water Loop
Author: Daddy's Girl (FL)

What is the difference between a “soft water loop with drain and outlet to include standard bib” and “soft water loop with hard water to hose bib?” Which one do I need in a new construction home? Or should I get both? The sales representative doesn't know. All that was determined that people generally by the more expensive one. That's not a good answer for me, but I cannot find an answer on the Internet. Any insight would be very, very appreciated.

Re: Soft Water Loop
Author: m & m (MD)

The first option includes installation of soft water to your outside hose faucet. The second does not (it would receive untreated water, or, 'hard' water).

If you use your outdoor faucet for washing your vehicle(s), then you will probably want soft water, otherwise, you will be dealing with hard water spotting on the finish. If you only use the outdoor faucet for watering grass, garden, etc., then there is no need for soft water. That will save on the use of salt.

Author: hj (AZ)

quote; If you only use the outdoor faucet for watering grass, garden, etc., then there is no need for soft water. That will save on the use of salt.

It may also save your plants because they seldom like the extra sodium in soft water.

Author: m & m (MD)

[www.mayoclinic.org]

Unless one drinks like a fish, no worries about sodium in soft water.

Author: jblanche (WI)

As it happens, I use an exterior hose bibb to fill a fish pond. So I sure wouldn't want to waste a few hundred gallons of soft water every month, and I doubt the sodium would provide much benefit to the fish.

In any case, if I were building new, I would do this:

1. Hard water hose bibbs everywhere I want them, not just where builder is required to put them by code. For example I have two for the front yard, one at the rear of the house, one halfway between the house and the rear property line, and another for filling the pond.

2. Hot & cold mixer by the driveway or in garage for washing car. I don't have any of these because I quit washing cars over a decade ago, although it would come in handy when I need a decontamination shower outside every so often.

Links to the State of Wisconsin Plumbing Code:
[docs.legis.wisconsin.gov]
I am not a plumber.

m & m (MD),

Thank you so much for responding to my question!! Your time is greatly appreciated.

Edited 1 times.

Thank you all

hj (AZ)

Thank you for the added information about the plants and extra sodium. I do appreciate that you took the time to reply.

Edited 2 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

It is not a factor if you use Potassium Chloride, but then that is a lot more expensive also.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.