Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Sink gurgle, air in or out?
Author: dgmorr (NY)

Hey guys,

I recently redid one of my washrooms. After the final cleanup I threw some paper towels in the toilet without thinking. As soon as I hit the flush lever I realized the mistake. After a lot of plunger work I was finally able to get the toilet to flush.

Now I'm noticing that the sink in the same bathroom is gurgling. I never really noticed this before with the old toilet and old sink. I don't know if it's a combination of having the new faster flushing toilet and possibly clearing out an existing blockage creating a faster flush? The old toilet was a pretty slow flusher but it seemed to work fine. I didn't really use the washroom that much since it was mainly a guest washroom.

I've been reading that gurgle can either mean a blockage downstream or trap siphoning. I see water in the sink drain get lower as I flush. This only happened after the paper towel incident though. How can I tell if it is air being sucked in the sink or air being forced out?

The toilet seems to be flushing fine, but there is obviously some sort of issue. The path from washroom to the vertical section of pipe is about 15ft, then hits another horizontal section of 10ft before the final stack.

EDIT: Starting to wonder if I made an error in my modification from a sinlge sink to two. There used to be a Tee where the old sink met the vent line that goes into the attic. I replaced the Tee with a double Wye. Is this creating less resistance to the sinks for the ventilation?

These are not my pics, but basically replaced where this Tee with the double Wye. I'm starting to see images of people using a vent loop on the second sink addition.

To something similar to this

Any ideas?

Thanks

Edited 4 times.

Re: Sink gurgle, air in or out?

Well after pouring about 1/2gallon of dish soap down and a lot more plunging, the new toilet works better than it ever did. I noticed that when i first installed the new Toto Drake it would not flush as fast as my other same toilet. I'm convinced that there may have been an existing blockage since I moved into this place about a year ago and never noticed it.

My two sink drains are still gurgling though. Whether this is explicitly from the new toilet or it always happened, I am not sure. The existing vent line takes quite a long horizontal path for some unknown reason up in my attic. Can I simply just at a Tee or Wye in the line and go straight up the roof to add more air to the same vent line or will this not help anything? The vent goes up the wall behind the two sinks and I can splice in there to go straight out the roof. For some reason it continues a long horizontal path to vent in some other location.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

Normally the vents are all connected in the attic if everything is relatively close so that one vent stack has a roof penetration instead of one for each sink, shower, and toilet. Adding another roof penetration won't likely make any difference in the slightest.

My house has multiple vents. I believe there are about 3 vents out the roof.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.