Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Water softener
Author: yonson (SC)

I received my water results back with a recommended softener. My Hardness GPG is 20.18 recommended limit 5. Tannin 1.90PPM recommended limit .5.

So I have hard water and tannin is high. They recommended: CWST High Flow Series Tannin Reduction System - 3M Cuno Aqua Pure # CWST200ME.

Is this softener an overkill? I think I have sticker shock with the $3000 price tag for the system and ME installing. They also recommend an r/o system for an extra $600.

Is this any better than a model Lowe's sells for less than half the cost?

Re: Water softener
Author: KCRoto (MO)

How is your water in your opinion. Is this well water or public? Is there a problem with the taste? Do you have uncontrollable calcium deposits? Doing a quick search there are other systems that have flow rates just as high as the one that you named. I didn't check any box stores websites, but any flow rate of 8 gpm or higher should be fine, as they one they told you about is 8.5 gpm.

Our water, I think, has always been ok. We have lived here over 20 years. It is well water. The taste has never been great, but anytime we drink, water only, we get it from the fridge water which has an additional filter on it and it tastes ok. Not much if any calcium or iron deposits. If I can spend half as much on a system I need to do that - but I am not sure of the quality of big box softeners vs trade store. Looks like this sponsor we have here has some good options. I may look into this.

More info: 4 people in the house, no lawn sprinkler, we have a washer and dishwasher. We have about half copper, half pex for our domestic lines within the house.

Author: hj (AZ)

quote; I didn't check any box stores websites, but any flow rate of 8 gpm or higher should be fine, as they one they told you about is 8.5 gpm.

How many faucets would they have to run simultaneously to get a flow rate of even 8.0 gpm?

The tannin reducing system that was quoted to them had a flow rate of 8.5 gpm and a google search on the first site had another system that was rated at 8.0 gpm. Apples to apples and all that. I think that running a washing machine and taking a shower would most likely exceed that, and as vic said, a tub and anything else would do the same.

Author: vic (CA)

"How many faucets would they have to run simultaneously to get a flow rate of even 8.0 gpm?"

If one person is running the bathtub or taking a shower while the clothes washer and dishwasher is on and another person flushes a toilet or two and washes their hands right after and we have an over 8 gpm scenario.

18 gpm softener:
[www.plumbingsupply.com]

Edited 1 times.

In my own humble opinion as a homeowner, I would suggest just getting a filter system to improve the drinking water quality. They make some very good filter systems whether you want a single faucet or a whole house system. Personally, I much prefer harder water over softened, and from a plumbers standpoint, softened water can cause other problems if it gets over softened. If you had a tankless water heater, I would then recommend it, but that would be the only instance.

Thanks for the info folk! So my main question still stands... trade store vs big box vs this sites sponsor? Significant price difference here.

Author: vic (CA)

To me the "best" place to ask regarding water quality issues and what to install isn't our plumbing forum.

Yes, many of our wonderful advisers and contributors know a significant amount about water softeners, water filters and filtration and have installed or worked on plenty of them and know quite a bit however water quality issues such as yours are very complex and generally asking experts in your specific area might be "best" for you.

Buying a softener from the big box stores (or on the Net which is what I tend to promote) might cost a bit less than buying from local experts however you ultimately might be better off finding local water quality experts as most likely your water quality is close to what others in your area are dealing with.

JMHO

Vic

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.