Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Rotten eggs smell
Author: dfran (Non-US)

I saw that there was a discussion about a rotten eggs smell. I get that when it rains, and the toilet has not been used for a few hours. Why does the rain make it worse?

Re: Rotten eggs smell
Author: KCRoto (MO)

Get the smell from where? Is it only when it rains that it happens, or can it be reproduced other times?

Author: dfran (Non-US)

The smell is in the bathroom,it is very strong but only there intermittently, and I noticed it yesterday night. I cannot locate it. There is a bath, a toilet and a handwash basin. I saw this topic on this website, which said that it could be caused by gases trapped. The toilet had not been used about 6 hours, and it was raining yesterday night.
However, it has totally vanished this morning.

This topic (though slightly different) was discussed here. The toilet,however, in my case, is used everyday.
[www.plbg.com]

Edited 1 times.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

It could be a problem that is completely unrelated to plumbing and more to do with moisture in general, or you have a sewer gas leak coming from a bad seal under the toilet. Sometimes with atmospheric changes sewer gas may come out when it normally doesn't. Replacing the wax ring would be the easiest way to eliminate the possibility and possibly stop the smell.

Author: sherlock457 (VA)

Only happens in the rain. That would make perfect sense if rainwater was entering the sanitary sewer. As the water height increases in a drain pipe the air that flows opposite the drainage gets compressed a bit. If your wax seal is weak , then, yes, sewer gas can enter the home. Storm pipes are designed to flow full and sewer lines are sized to flow half full. Decreasing the air space has a huge effect on all the vents on the sewer. Without vents the traps would siphon and vents cut off. The system needs to breath (yes, has bad breath). I would guess you have a combined sewer in the street or a flagerant cross connection somewhere. Try replacing the wax seal first. Use 2 of them.

Author: sherlock457 (VA)

Remember, the gas company adds "rotten egg" smell the the gas so you can smell it. But gas leaks "leak" rain or shine. So I do hope it IS hydrogen sulfide or methane you are smelling.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.