Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Old sink pipe - no threads - help!!
Author: bethrenee (IL)

Posting for my husband, as he is the one dealing with this problem!

Our bathroom sink was not draining, so my husband took off the p-trap and tail piece to clear out. But they were not the issue. He thinks the clog is in the pipes leading away into the wall. (That is an issue for another posting).

He went to put back the pipes, and did it just like it was when we moved in. Surprise surprise, we can't get it to work. Our house is over 60 years old, and many things were either not done right, or are an very old style.

Originally the tail piece was connected to the steel pipe with caulk. He slid the tail piece inside the steel pipe and attempted the replicate the caulk seal, but used teflon paste to seal all around it. First, the teflon paste is taking FOREVER to dry. We can't even tell if we got the clog fixed because it leaks when we try to turn on the faucet (where the tail piece and steel pipe meet).

My husband says there are no threads on the steel pipe, so he can't use any of the plastic nuts.

We can't rip out the plumping and start a major project right now. PLEASE tell me there is something we can do so I can get back my only bathroom sink. How can he connect the plastic tail piece to a metal pipe that does not have threads. He is seriously considering using duct tape, and I having to threaten to tape him to the chair to prevent that! smiling smiley

Is there some kind of actual plumbers tape to use (besides that really thing stuff you use on the shower head connections), or a different type of paste? Something to put over the paste? A fancy specialized connector for these kinds of situations?

A time machine to go back and shake the person who originally set up this situation? smiling smiley

Thanks!

Re: Old sink pipe - no threads - help!!
Author: KCRoto (MO)

In lieu of replacing the drain line, using one of these trap adapter fernco fittings can be used until you replace the drain in the wall.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

The Teflon paste won't dry. It's suppose to remain soft.

Edited 1 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

"Teflon" paste will NEVER dry as it is not a sealant but merely a lubricant.

Pipe threads seal by a metal to metal tapered wedging contact ~ theoretically.

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

for the trap adapter fernco fitting - Is there a limit how long that will work? Or can it be used for a couple of years? We are planning on remodeling our home, and that will require extensive plumbing work, so we'd like to wait till then to replace that old pipe....

Edited 1 times.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

Although it isn't a good permanent solution, I have seen them last for a very long time. generally, the rubber hardens to a point that it can no longer flex, then if the joint is disassembled, it splits the rubber. It should last at least 5 years if needed.

Author: Paul48 (CT)

It will last a lot longer if you don't use chemical drain cleaners.

Thank you everyone for your help! applause

We found the adapter, and it worked great! Thank you everyone for your help!

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.