Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Can't Remove Faucet
Author: snowball53 (NY)

The faucet in my bathroom has been leaking for weeks and I'm trying to remove the handles, but can't figure out how! There was no cap or screw on the handle itself and I do not know the brand.

I would greatly appreciate if someone could advise me on how to remove these handles? And does anyone know what brand/model it is?

Many thanks in advance!

Edited 2 times.

Re: Can't Remove Faucet
Author: packy (MA)

try holding the handle while rotating the bell shaped trim counter clockwise.

Thanks, packy. But I had tried rotating the trim before and it did not work.

Author: packy (MA)

now you can see what we plumbers go thru sometimes. we don't know everything about every faucet trim ever invented. if there is no visible set screw and the trim does not hold the handle in place then the only possibility i can think of that the handle is forced down onto a plastic sleeve. the plastic sleeve is held to the stem by a screw and the handle is set to contact the sleeve and tapped downward with your fist.
so, try THIS.. cut 2 narrow pieces of wood shingle and tap them gently under the handle to try to wedge the handle upwards.
after this, i am out of ideas...

Author: hj (AZ)

TRy harder. THey are seldom "hand tight".

Author: Paul48 (CT)

Try holding the handle and turning the ring under it that looks like a nut. Use an old washcloth and a pair of channel lock pliers.Is the water cold or hot? It's hard to tell from the photos. You need to verify it is a seperate piece, and and not part of the bell portion. Obviously there is a seperation where the handle meets it.Look closely at where it comes out and then goes back in. If you see a split, proceed.

Edited 2 times.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

I found a Speakman faucet that looks similar and it appears to have pressed on handles and ceramic disc cartridges. It wasn't an exact match in the picture, but the handle looks almost identical save for the pointed tip at the end. I only mention this because even if the skirt shaped piece did unscrew, it has no place to go, so I have to think that Packy might be onto it. You could always take one side of the faucet off and check the bottom side to see if there is a name on it. There should be water lines that can be disconnected where the handles pass water to the spout. I have a feeling that you may have to pull this out regardless whether you need to replace a part or break it attempting to disassemble it. edit- if you are going to try prying up, use something with some mechanical advantage such as a nail bar; one under each side can get you equal pressure so that you don't instantly snap the head of the stem off. It relies on the tensile strength instead of the shear strength of the stem that way.

Edited 1 times.

quote; even if the skirt shaped piece did unscrew, it has no place to go,
It doesn't need "any place to go" because it and the handle would come off as a unit.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

By that rationale, the end of the stem itself would be threaded. Not likely.

First of all, thank you all very much for the tips!

Here is another closeup of the faucet - the COLD water one - which I am having problem with. As long as I disconnect the supply for the cold water, it no longer leaks.

I forgot to mention in my orginal post that there is a HOLE on the handle, as you can see from the above picture. Oddly, there is no visible screw. Does anyone know what the function of the hole is?

Also, it seems that the handle is separate from the bell shaped trim part (indiated by the ARROW in the pic).

I've tried both rotating the handle with a wrench and prying the handle up. Both didn't work.

That's a hole for an Allen wrench.

That's what I thought at first as well. But it's actually circular and allen wrench didn't work at all.

Yo are missing the point and have not worked on many Kohler or Moen faucets, for example. The handle is NOT "rigid" on the escutcheon, otherwise both would turn when the faucet is operated. The handle stays stationary while the escutcheon unscrews then BOTH lift off the stem.

The Allen wrench would go THROUGH the circular hole if there is an Allen screw inside, you would need the correct one and it may be Metric.

Use a mirror and flashlight if necessary. Look for a hex shape. When you have the correct Allen inserted, it will not rock back and forth.If you use one that is too small,it will strip the screw.

Author: rhinowalrus (TX)

Did you successfully remove these? I have what appear to be the exact ones, but no hole. I've tried prying up but have not had luck.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.