Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Circulator Type
Author: jamcop (CT)

I am replacing my old oil fired boiler and installing a new Burnham Alpine gas Boiler. my plan was to reuse the existing Taco 007 circulators for the 4 zones in my home. In going over the installation manual I noticed that they recommend a different circulator one of which came with the boiler. My assumption is that the recommended and supplied one is for the boiler loop and I can still use the old ones for the zones. Can anyone confirm my feelings on this.
Thank You

Re: Circulator Type
Author: hj (AZ)

It depends on how the boiler piping is arranged. The existing pumps should work if installed properly.

Author: Paul48 (CT)

The circulator that comes with it, is most likely the one for the boiler or primary loop.The heat exchanger passages in that boiler are very restrictive. The circ must be able to move so many gpm at high fire, or the water can flash to steam, and destroy the heat exchanger.
Have you purchased the boiler already? Was a "heat loss" done? Boiler sizing is absolutely critical. If the boiler is not condensing, it will run 80-85% efficiency. If you over-size it, it won't condense. The heat loss also determines the required flow and btus for each zone, which determines the correct circulator.
Most of the work can be done as a DIY project. The planning should have started last winter. There is a lot to learn. The burner must be set up with a digital combustion analyzer by a pro.
No disrespect, but, you just told us you bought a new Porsche, and you want to know what type of re-treads to put on it.
[www.comfort-calc.net]
[www.comfort-calc.net]

Most of what you need to know can be learned here: [flopro.taco-hvac.com]

As a matter of opinion...Fire tube boilers have heat exchangers with much less restrictive passages. They don't require the large gpm flow through the HX. You can come much closer to matching the flow to the system side, to what what must be produced on the boiler side. In most cases they don't even require P/S piping and can be pumped directly through the boiler. This is ideal, because it lets the boiler see exactly what is happening in the system, and modulate according to it.

Edited 5 times.

Author: jamcop (CT)

I Have purchased the boiler already and the "heat loss" was done. The pump sizing threw me for a loop (no pun intended) when I saw it. I am going to run a good sized boiler loop and put the supplied pump on that and connect the loop into the existing manifold of the 4 existing zones.. Thanks for the help

Follow the manufacturers diagrams for piping.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

Oh, no, Mr. Bill !

Not installation manuals !

Oh no, Oh no ...........................

The HORROR ~ The HORROR

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Scary stuff! If you want to get scared...go on YouTube, and check out the steam boiler installs, done by supposed pros. There's the homeowner hack jobs, and you would expect that, but not from "pros" getting paid big money.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.