Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 interior perimeter drain clogged
Author: abrahamx (MI)

I have a interior perimeter drain installed before I bought the house. There is an one inch gap between the floor and the wall. It gets damp and eventually overflows when there is alot of rain. I suspect the gravel or holes in the pipe are clogged and therefore not letting as much water into the pipe quick enough therefore overflowing. I have two questions. 1) will filling the gap with vilyl or other product hurt anything? 2) is there anyway to try and unclog the holes in the pipe other than digging it up? The pipes themselves are not clogged as water runs freely inside them. The system has 4 inch pipe running along the four walls and draining to the middle and out. I have 4 acess points. one in the center of each wall. My thoughts are to try and get some kind of waterjet in there. any recommended tool I can use?

Re: interior perimeter drain clogged
Author: Doug E. (CA)

does your current system have a screen? pipe wrap or gravel larger than the holes in the pipe? if not I wouldn't spend the time to try to get the debris out. I would dig it up and install a system were water gets in and rocks/dirt stay out.

Author: sharp1 (IL)

Was the floor cut to install the perimeter drain or was it installed during the basement construction?

What type of wall do you have, block or poured concrete?.

Is the water in the 1" gap coming down the wall or up from the seam between wall and floor?

Sorry for all the questions.

Edited 1 times.

not sure on construction as I did not build it. Water is comming up from the gap. No water from the walls. I know that is why the gap is there but nothing comes from the walls.

poured walls and the drain was built after original construction (original construction in 1966)). I can see the line where the new concrete is.

Author: sharp1 (IL)

Your underfloor drainage is fine. The problem is water seeping between the bottom of the wall and the footer and it cannot get past the new concrete to the drainage pipe. When the concrete was repoured to repair the floor, something should have been placed on the wall footing to separate from the floor and allow the water to migrate to the pipe. One product for this application is "Cactusboard". In several locations around the room, maybe some 5" or 6" wide slots can be cut into the floor from the wall into the room far enough to go past the edge of the footing, then place this type of material on the footing, and repour the floor keeping the 1" space at the wall. That 1" space would channel the seepage to the new slots, then to the drainage pipe. If this works, then the 1" space could be filled with a porus material to within an inch from the top and a waterproof sealer used for the last inch.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.