Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 backwater access valve (is this normal?)
Author: joco (MI)

Hello guys and girls.
I'm finishing my basement and before putting any flooring I want to make sure that the plumbing in my basement is OK. I moved 3 years ago in my new (new construction) house. I have 3 backwater valves in my basement (one for the floor drain, one for the bathroom rough in and one for the kitchen/bar rough in). When I opened the backwater valves they were not empty so I took pictures to see if this is normal or I need to call a plumber?
This is the photo of the floor drain backwater valve. Does this mean that there is no pitch so the water just stays there?

This photo is from the bathroom rough in backwater valve

and this one is from the kitchen/bar rough in backwater valve

I haven't had any problems since I moved in 3 years ago but since I'm going to finish my basement I don't want any problems in the future too.

Thank you in advance

Re: backwater access valve (is this normal?)
Author: KCRoto (MO)

Anywhere that has 3 backwater valves installed would throw up red flags. In my experience I have seen enormous amounts of water damage and I would encourage you to rethink finishing this space. If you do, consider non-porous materials like ceramic tile, and attach any drywall up approximately 1.5-2 inches off the floor. They make pressed foam baseboard and you can put a strip of something the same width as the drywall behind it to aid installation, just leave a gap so that it can't wick water up from the ground. As for the backwater devices, the floor drain appears to be in a sag, the rough in looks like it would if you have frequent backups with nothing to wash it back out with. The kitchen looks ok, but you should use a enzyme based drain cleaner to help keep that drain line and valve cleaned out as preventative maintenance.

Author: joco (MI)

Thank you KCRoto. I have ranch style house so my basement is preaty big. 3 backwater valves are not common?
Here are some pictures before the concrete was poured in.

This picture shows the bathroom rough in and the kitchen/bar rough in

This picture shows more of the kitchen /bar rough in and the exit of the main stack.

this one shows the Floor drain

Author: sherlock457 (VA)

I totally disagree. Backwater valves are very common. They are required when the top of the upstream manhole in the street is higher than the lowest drain. They are they so you CAN finish the space. The idea being, if the sewer backs up and your drains are below the top, the backflow comes out there before it reeaches the flood rim of the manhole.
Bless those backwater valves and check them often. Make sure they are accessible.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

And poor engineering is why I wouldn't finish the basement. If you need backwater valves, you shouldn't be finishing the space. Those little plastic flapper type are notoriously unreliable and tend to cause more backups than they prevent.

Author: sherlock457 (VA)

Sorry, but it is good sound engineering. The alternate is to put one BWV on the drain line downstream in the system.
The BWV is code required under the conditions I stated in my initial reply. Are you saying that folks who live in hilly towns aren't supposed to be allowed to finish their basements because of the topography?
This is the engineering needed to allow to them to expand their living space. I am willing to bet that every BWV failure was due to the owner not servicing his system. Not a failure of the device.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.