Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 MA plumbing code regarding PVC cements
Author: eda (MA)

Hi,

We had our plumbing rejected by the town's plumbing inspector due to the use of Oatey rain-r-shine #30893. He said that the particular cement was not allowed in MA, although it was purchased at the local hardware store. I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction to the portion of the plumbing code or regulation that says that it cannot be used in MA?

I'd like to understand where to find such information so that we can know better what can and cannot be used here (having come from a different area, where the rules are different).

Thanks!

Re: MA plumbing code regarding PVC cements
Author: steve (CA)

Were the joints primed? All PVC joints, supply and DWV, are code required to be primed.

Edit- I was thinking Maine and not Mass., but code might be the same.

Edited 1 times.

Author: m & m (MD)

Is it disallowed possibly because it is not VOC compliant?

Author: hj (AZ)

I assume this is a DWV system, not water, and if so, that cement was overkill even if it were allowed. "being allowed" and "being sold at a hardware store" are two completely different things. Stores seldom worry about whether something is "legal" or not as long as you will buy it.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

I hate when that happens. I just returned from the ASPE Convention and Exposition and saw some clear pvc primer, by Oatey SCS, in Cleveland, Ohio 800-203-1155. If the product you are referring to is the clear pvc primer... you have to purchase a special flash LED light with special color LEDs to expose the clear primer. Without this special flash light you will have a very difficult trying to test the inspector (who is not required to have that special flash light)

Call Oatey in the morning.
Best Wishes

Author: Plumberpalmer (MA)

Did a Ma licensed plumber do the work that was inspected ? If not you said you are not from the area and in the fine state of Massachusetts you can be fined up to $2,500 for doing plumbing without a license. Even in your own home.
In 20+ years of plumbing in Mass I have never seen a plumber use or had the need to use rain or shine glue. Like Simone else said the only thing I can think it is not low VOC.

Author: steve (CA)

All PVC cements on Oatey's website have labels that state "LoVOC". Rain or Shine instructions state no primer needed, unless required by local code.

Author: packy (MA)

[www.mass.gov]

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.