Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 How to Increase water Pressure
Author: darthur (IN)

I have a 4 story, 39 unit apartment building that I manage. The city water pressure coming into the building is too low to provide sufficient water pressure up to the apartments on the 4th floor. The hot water in the shower and tubs comes out so weak and just over a trickle.

How do I increase water pressure without adding a large pump to the main water lines coming into the building(that has been ruled out as to expensive)? Are there smaller pumps that can be installed into the hot water line(cause that's all they need for showers) in each individual apartment on the 4th floor that would boost water pressure? Or maybe some other solution?

Every unit has its own 50 gal hot water heater. I hope there are some ideas out there that can help.

Dave

Re: How to Increase water Pressure
Author: hj (AZ)

A Y McDonald has a "small" inline on demand booster system that would do what you want. It is cheaper than the pump units you are referring to.

Author: packy (MA)

if you increase flow to one unit it will starve someone else..
your only answer may be to increase the size of the water main..

The McDonald pump goes in the main line where it enters the building so it takes care of everyone.

Author: packy (MA)

I thought you meant there was a pump designed for a single bathroom..

No, whole house unit. A booster on the hot side, for example would not help because the shower balancer would just shut it down to the same as the cold side.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

38 units use a lot of water. Have you contacted the source of your water to determine if it can be improved, besides building your own water tower, outside your building. Are the pipes undersized both in and out or just outside? You said that you didn't want a large pump. Why not a large pump?

Best Wishes

Author: Paul48 (CT)

I believe he said money was the issue. That would also eliminate a tower that might provide additional pressure to a 4 story building.That expense would be huge.

quote; That would also eliminate a tower that might provide additional pressure to a 4 story building.

The tower would have to be on top of the building which might NOT be able to support it.

Author: Paul48 (CT)

The engineering report alone would cost more than the largest pump he could put in.

You need to get a gauge in here
Author: KCRoto (MO)

Could there be anything reducing the dynamic pressure in the system? Bad pressure reducer, partially closed valve, etc? I mention this because even at a height of 40 feet, you should only experience a pressure drop of about 17 psi versus ground level. The building should have been plumbed in sufficient pipe size to avoid having problems due to reduced flow unless something in the line is causing it. I suggest getting a gauge pressure on the water on a 4th floor laundry hookup or similar and test at the basement or ground level. Then turn on a bathtub to see what happens on the 4th floor.

Thoughts?

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.