Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Wood inside mortar base in shower pan
Author: Lou (NY)

Hello, I hired a plumber to install shower. As I am watching the shower be built, I noticed he put the rubber pan in. Then he put the mortar over the rubber pan, but strange that he put 2" x 2" wood pieces inside around the parameter of the pan. He then has the mortar going up to those 2x2 wood pieces that are on the inside edges of the shower pan.
I cannot imagine any wood should be inside the shower pan as I am certain the wood will stay wet and rot immediately.
Can anyone tell me if 2x2 wood around the inside edges inside the pan is normal? If not, I need him to stop tomorrow. The wood in the mortar just doesn't seem right. Please advise. Thank you. Lou

Re: Wood inside mortar base in shower pan
Author: steve (CA)

Was the wood subfloor, under the membrane sloped towards the drain? The 2x2s are probably screeds(guides), that would be removed and the resulting troughs filled with mortar. The 2x2s should have been removed as soon as the mortar was sloped and then filled. How/why are you having this "plumber" tile your shower?

Re: Wood inside mortar base in shower pan
Author: KCRoto (MO)

I think steve is dead on. I used metal from a drop ceiling when I did mine to form the slope, let is sit for a bit, then removed, filled, and finished the surface before it cured. Thinset has good adhesion, so it should work fine to fill in the voids, but it isn't designed to be poured that thick really. The wood should have been removed before the base cured, and the voids filled in, but he may have a different technique that works equally well, or reasoning that we don't know. If you think he doesn't know what he is doing, stop him sooner rather than later and have a talk about his plan of action. Consider replacing him if you don't have confidence. Most plumbers don't take part in the forming of the shower floor. Also, make sure that gravel was placed around the weep holes next to the pan liner around the drain so that they stay open and don't fill with concrete/sand mix/thinset.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.