Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Tepid tub water
Author: kaffejoe (NV)

Seven year old house, but new to me. I only get tepid water delivered to one of my tubs (lounging tub). Hot water is delivered just fine to all other fixtures in the house. This tub has separate handles for hot and cold water, brand unknown. I'm guessing this is a safety feature, but how do I adjust it?

Re: Tepid tub water
Author: KCRoto (MO)

See if you can find any identifying marks on the valve, handles, or tub spout. Even a picture may help. Without knowing what you have installed, advising you is guesswork other than telling you to get a plumber out to your house so that someone with experience can examine it.

Author: m & m (MD)

A two handle bath faucet should have an anti-scald compensating valve included in the installation. If it is defective, it can provide a cross-over path.

The are no markings on the tub fixtures. However, there are other fixtures in the house that visually match the faucet and handles on this tube. Those are all Delta.

Author: hj (AZ)

Separate hot and cold valves do NOT have any safety features. But, unless the hot side does not open fully, there is no reason for you not to be able to get any temperature you want from fully hot to fully cold.

A two handle bath faucet should have an anti-scald compensating valve included in the installation.

A SHOWER two handle valve SHOULD have that but even they seldom do. A bathtub does NOT require one.

With the aid of a dental mirror, vinegar and a toothbrush, I can now say the fixture in question is indeed a Delta product. In fact, I believe it is a Delta, Model T2740.

I've downloaded the installation instructions and just finished reading them. Unfortunately, it appears this assembly doesn't have an anti-scald gear or valve. I'm left with no clue what could be causing the hot valve to supply only tepid water. (Would it be designed to do that?)

Lounging in a Roman bath is not at the top of my things to do, but it would keep the wife happy if she could soak an read a book. And let's remember, a happy wife make for a good life!

I'll call Delta next week to see what they might say.

Author: packy (MA)

if the tub has a hand held shower, my code considers it the same as a stand-up shower. it must be scald-protected.
anyway, there may be a recirculating line that goes just to this tub ??
if so, that could be the culprit..

There is NOTHING in that faucet that should restrict the hot water temperature from being whatever it is in the water heater. You have some other problem but we do not have enough information to diagnose it.

"... A SHOWER two handle valve SHOULD have that but even they seldom do. A bathtub does NOT require one..."

If you want to install two handle faucets, tub or shower, over in this neck of the woods, they better be equipped with a compensating valve.

Edited 2 times.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my plea for help.

Well, this is a bit embarrassing. I've discovered the fixture was plumbed backwards! What should be cold actually delivers the hot water, and what should be the hot control valve actually controls the cold line. (Cold water is tepid this time of the year in Las Vegas.)

I'm a bit angry with myself for not checking that first, and am extreamly disappointed with the plumber that did the installation when the house was built. I hope he decided to leave the trade when the recession brought everything to a screaming halt!

Thanks to everyone who responded to my plea for help.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Thanks to everyone who responded to my plea for help.

....Things that make you go: 'hhhmmmmmmmmmmmm'.

Author: Paul48 (CT)

Let's keep it in perspective...the alternatives could have set about a chain of events that could have destroyed the earth. So, on behalf of mankind, I thank you. wink

Whether it is WRONG or not depends on where you are standing, and HOW the original owners wanted it. Some want the hot on the left when they are outside the tub, and others when they are IN the tub. It depends on where they are standing when the fill the tub. I had a customer who wanted it on the left when she was outside the tub, but then after not using the tub for a while she was inside the tub and did the same thing as you did and said there was no hot water.

As stated, you had an illogical problem with that faucet and WE did not have the information we needed to diagnose it for you.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.