Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 galvanized pipes leaking, need to cut them out
Author: Janey (Non-US)

I have an old trailer/mobile home, it's a 1971 and the two main intake water pipes are leaking badly, very badly. As I can't get Pecx pipe the same size, I have figured out that I can get fittings that will join pecx to the galvanized. I am a female, and have no recourse but to do this myself, so how do I CUT galvanized pipes, and I think I will have to use Pex (Pecx?) for wiring instead of water to get the size I need. Hope you understand what I'm trying to ask. At this time, the leaks are so bad, I only have a hose coming into the trailer. Any help will be appreciated. Oh, I'm not a strong person, so please don't say a "hacksaw" or something, because, I won't be able to saw through on my own power.

Re: galvanized pipes leaking, need to cut them out
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

A Sawzall or reciprocating saw will be the best tool for the job. Be sure to use metal cutting blades.

Author: hj (AZ)

There is NO "PEX for wiring". If it is REALLY PEX, it is for water.

Author: Doug E. (CA)

I am all for "Do it yourself" but in this case I think you should get some help from someone experienced in plumbing. A reciprocating saw is a great tool for cutting pipe but it's a potentially hazardous tool. save time, save frustration, be safe and get qualified help.

Edited 1 times.

Author: Paul48 (CT)

Ma'am.......There may be jobs that are better suited to your abilities. Try contacting local churches. Trade housekeeping, laundry, or whatever you might be able to do, for plumbing. Just a thought...Best Wishes

Author: KCRoto (MO)

If this is galvanized, it is actually easier in many cases to use 2 pipe wrenches to remove it. I understand the physical strength problem, but it is faster and easier to work under a mobile home with pipe wrenches as opposed to a sawzall with a power cord. Not to mention not getting showered with hot metal shavings. Even someone with limited experience can help to remove the old piping, without potential loss of limbs when a reciprocating saw kicks off something in a confined space with limited mobility. Get assistance even if you try to do it yourself, it is a confined space and safety should be your primary concern, the plumbing second.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Modular Homes with galvanized piping. Now that is strange. Most mobile homes were shipped with pvc pipes. Did someone change them?
Best Wishes

I have seen copper, galvanized, and polybutalyne(sp).

It is IMPOSSIBLE to remove a pipe between two risers, which almost ALL the piping under the trailer would be, with just "two wrenches". It HAS to be cut in the middle first.

It was put together with wrenches, there are unions somewhere. Mobile homes are made offsite and the connections to the water supply made after. There has to be a removable connection there. The only thing to discuss is what exactly "the two main intake water pipes" refer to, and how there are two of them if it is the cold water supply.

IF the water lines were assembled WITH the trailer, and there is no reason to assume they were not, they were installed from point A to point B to point C WITHOUT unions.

Author: sum (FL)

I wonder if she meant PVC, there is PVC for plumbing then there is the gray PVC electrical conduits.

Author: sum (FL)

A diyer here.

How bad is the leak is it leaking in one spot or you have holes all over the place? Take a pic and post it and you may have better luck.

However, if you are not handy, or strong, and may not have the proper tools, I suggest hiring a pro. If you are not able to hire a pro now, then your other option is some sort if bandaid temp fix. You can try those epoxy wraps and wrap your pipe over the leaky holes, and see if that helps. No guarantees and I tried it with a sprinkler line once and it didn't stop my leak only slowed it. But you might have better luck and it may be an option until you can hire someone to really fix it.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.