Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Joining Dutch Gutter Downspouts Together with Pipe
Author: Andwes (CA)

I have three separate metal downspouts coming down through my tar/gravel roof and emptying into the patio. My question: would it be acceptable to cut each downspout off and join all three with some 3" ABS or PVC pipe and send all the water to the side of the house (a hill that descends into the street). Note that this is not the standard sloping roof with a rain gutter.

Re: Joining Dutch Gutter Downspouts Together with Pipe
Author: Doug E. (CA)

yes it would BUT whether 3" pipe is correct depends on the surface area of the roof.
post the square feet of the surface collecting rain water then using sizing charts then proper sizing can be determined. I hope CA gets some rain and them downspouts get some action! You may want to consider adding gravel or some other means to control erosion on the hillside where you want to dump the water.

Edited 1 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

You can do anything you want to, as long as you find a pipe that will attach to your downspouts.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I'll get a sense of the surface area and go from there. Perhaps 4" is better. And yes, I'm hoping this coming "rainy season" really means it. We need it desperately.

Yes, it'll take some creative elbows and adapters but it all seems doable. Just need the right width of pipe to handle the runoff of three. Thanks.

Author: sum (FL)

I also have a dutch gutter system in my house and over the years it has been really difficult to find anyone with experience in these systems.

Calculations vary by locale and formulas changes by jurisdictions, but the rule of thumb rough formula I use to calculate runoffs is the Rational Formula.

Q = CiA

This is really for large basin area runoff calculations but since we will always oversize it would work as a ball park estimate.

Q is flow rate calculated in cfs cubic feet per second.
C is the runoff coefficient based on the material, for example, gravels allows a lot of water to infiltrate to the ground and concrete pavement allows almost nil. Your roof, is going to all run off so use C value of 1.
i is rainfall intensity in inches per hour. In Florida for highway safety and visibility we use 4 inches per hour as absolute maximum rainfall intensity as it's safe for someone to drive, and that's very heavy rain.
A is the area in ACRE. This is the part of the roof that is contributing to that downspout. Calculate all areas draining to it and ignore other roof areas sloping away from it.

Once you figure out your flow rate in CFS, convert to GPM and you can easily figure out the pipe size needed. I would step up another size to compensate for possibly impeded flow from dropped leaves, dead birds, rotten fruits etc...

Thanks so much. Lots of great info. clap

Wow, thanks so much. Lots of great info.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.