Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 watts 210 for gas water heaters
Author: treblarelho (TX)

I installed a wags 7200 which shuts off water supply to water heater in the event of a leak. the wags also terminates the gas supply to water heater as well. However, the T&P can not be ran to outside or to an approved drain. The water heater sits in a hall closet. I know that the watts 210 installs where the T&P valve goes. Does this install of the watts 210 take the place of a T&P valve____________in other words, if the watts go in place of the t&p, how does water discharge when necessary?

Re: watts 210 for gas water heaters
Author: hj (AZ)

You appear to have a misconception about the WAGS valve. It is placed inside a "pan" under the water heater and when it senses water in the pan it shuts off the water in to the tank and the gas line, (assuming you also have the gas control module). It has NOTHING to do with the T&P valve OR a drain line.

Author: m & m (MD)

It is an anti-flood device. When water from any kind of leakage accumulates in the pan to a depth of ~1 1/2", it activates a one-time valve which closes the incoming water off and averting a mess.

Author: treblarelho (TX)

Thank you. I realize the wags has nothing to do with t&p. The wags is already installed. The t&P line is ran straight into the pan because there is no where to take it. The water heater sits in a closet in the the hallway. The watts 210 installs where the t&p valve opening is. My question is,____if the watts is installed at t&p opening where does water discharge when necessary?

[media.wattswater.com]

The Watts 210 does NOT install into the T & P port. It is installed into the hot water outlet piping. It in no way interferes with the operation or function of the T & P.

It has absolutely NOTHING to do with the T&P valve OR its opening. The cold waterline is disconnected from the water heater and connected to the inlet of the WAGS, then the WAGS outlet is connected to the heater's COLD water inlet. With a gas heater, you also need the accessory module that turns off the gas.

quote; It is installed into the hot water outlet piping

If it is installed in the HOT water outlet/piping, HOW could it turn off the water to prevent flooding? You also seem to have an erroneous concept of how the WAGS works.

Read the post. My first comment concerned the WAGS. My second comment was in reference to the Watts 210.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

it is NOT code compliant for the T/PRV to discharge into a 'confined space'

it MUST discharge where said discharge will NOT cause damage

should the valve actually operate to relieve temperature/pressure in a 'runaway' situation it will POP WIDE OPEN and create a FLOOD in your 'closet'

a 'mechanical room / closet with mechanical equipment' should have a floor drain

re: flood prevention valve/module

the Temperature and Pressure protection of the system MUST BE MAINTAINED

the valve installs on the cold water inlet pipe

the control module sits in the pan

when the sensor or float in the module detects water it closes the valve

gas control would require optional extra part(s) - see later post re: WATTS 210

THE ABOVE ARE FACTS

check with your insurance company if you are a non-believer

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 2 times.

I had not noticed that he was referring to two different items. He appears to be somewhat paranoid. The 210 does not discharge water, it just shuts off the gas to the burner to prevent additional overheating. It may conform to the requirement for a safety valve in place of a T&P valve, otherwise, it would be a long shank model into a tee attached to the hot water outlet. Some installers consider the drain pan as an acceptable outlet for the T&P valve, even though it is a gravity drain and would be overwhelmed within seconds by a full discharge from a T&P valve.

hj,

The Watts #210 is quite commonly used in California where a T&P cannot be piped to the outside. It is a thermal protection device only and shuts off the gas supply to the water heater. This requires the use of a separate pressure relief valve (which may be mounted remote as long as there is no intervening/isolating valve).

THE WATTS #210 IS A TEMPERATURE ACTIVATED GAS SHUT OFF VALVE ~ IT DOES NOT ACT AS A PRESSURE RELIEF ~ AN SPRV MUST ALSO AND SPERATELY BE INSTALLED

installation to replace side mounted TPRV:

plus install a SPRV where it can be discharge safely (w/o intervening valves)

WE BOTH HAVE LIVED AND LEARNED smiling smiley

However, temperature AND pressure are usually the result of an overfiring burner. Shutting it off eliminates the source of energy. But it is also why I said it "might" satisfy the requirement for a T&P valve.

Edited 1 times.

it does NOT satisfy the TP requirements

it does the T

a SEPARATE P is required

if the OP's issue were mine I would ADD the 210 on a tee at the hw outlet as an ADDITIONAL safety and KEEP the OEM tp in place

ps. I did not 'get it' for a while, needed to visit the Watts site [www.watts.com]

Edited 1 times.

Does this install of the watts 210 take the place of a T&P valve____________in other words, if the watts go in place of the t&p, how does water discharge when necessary?

A Safety Pressure Relief Valve must be installed IN ADDITION to the 210.

Said PRV must follow standard safety valve installation codes.

see: [www.watts.com]

ps. sorry that I did not FULLY read the ? before answering

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.