Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Installing a tub spout
Author: robert9712000 (OH)

I decided to install a new tub in my bathroom. I ordered a kholer bellwether tub. Upon reading the specs it stated that i needed a minimum spout length of 7 inches. This seems to be a rare size, but i did find the one i purchased here.

When i received the spout it came with no instructions. I have not done much plumbing so im learning as i go. It looked like its a slip fit connection,heres some pictures i took of it.

The odd thing is the specs on Lowes site says it is not a universal fit (which i assumed all slip fits are universal).

Upon searching for that model # online i came across some instructions, but they say its 1/2" - 14 NPT, which i understand to mean it's threaded, but i see no threads on the inside.

So i am kind of confused as to the proper way to install it.

Edited 5 times.

Re: Installing a tub spout
Author: packy (MA)

that spout slips over 1/2 inch copper tubing. the set screw on the bottom locks it in place...

Author: robert9712000 (OH)

How far out from the finished wall should the copper tubing extend?

far enough to get beyond the "O" ring inside the spout.

Author: hj (AZ)

slide it on to the tubing, then measure how far it is from the wall then cut that much, plus about a 1/4" off the tubing. When it says it is NOT universal, they probably mean you cannot remove the plastic insert and use it on 1/2 ips thread. The last one you show is NOT the same one that you have.

Author: greekguy7 (IL)

How much water pressure you think there is on those tub spout connections, whether its a slip fit o-ring for a copper stubout or a threaded nipple?

the amount of back pressure depends on how restrictive the shower head is .

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.