Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 HELP i got Sand in my pipes!
Author: Chevy76 (NY)

Some fine sand got into our water pipes, and we have lost pressure at three places in the house (both kitchen knobs (which feed one spigot), and a "cold" knob in the bathroom, although "hot" works at full pressure, and they both feed the same spigot). I have already cleaned the sand from the bathroom aerators (This restored pressure to the "hot". The kitchen does not have an aerator.). What is the best way to restore water pressure to these problem faucets?

Thanks,
Chevy76

Re: HELP i got Sand in my pipes!
Author: steve (CA)

I would start by shutting off the angle stops under the sinks, disconnecting the supply lines at the faucet(putting the open in a bucket) and then turning on the angle stops to flush out the supplies(and verify you have good pressure/volume there). If the supplies seem to have been clear, the faucets should be disassembled and cleaned.

Author: hj (AZ)

I assume you have a water softener, and if so, the "sand" is actually the softening resin because the softener is broken internally. IF this is the case, it is a long term process to flush it from all the pipes and fixtures, including the water heater, after putting the softener in "bypass" mode.

Author: wetordry (AZ)

If HJ is right look at the 'sand' under magnification. If it's smooth and round then it's water softener resin. Sometimes it even has activated carbon mixed in with it (black and rough).

Author: hj (AZ)

If you just spread some on the countertop and it looks "golden" then it is resin.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.