Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Musty smell in hot and cold water throughout entire house, but not in raw water
Author: Jbjbjb (TX)

Hello all, I live in Houston and my water comes from the city. I just bought a house that was built 2 years ago. I have a problem with the smell/taste of the hot and cold water throughout my entire house. My water smells musty, similar the musty/algae smell of a fish tank. The smell is extremely strong, it fills the whole room if you turn on a shower or bath. It is the water, not the drains, that smell. You can take a glass of water outside and it still stinks. The water out of the hose outside has no smell.

I have a water heater and a water softener. The water softener works properly and softens the water effectively. I tried putting bleach in the softener and regenerating. I tried bypassing the softener and turning on all faucets in the house for an hour or so. I tried increasing the temp on the water heater to max for several hours and turning on all hot water faucets till the water heater was empty. Nothing worked, the smell didn't even go down a little bit.

The carbon filter in my refrigerator completely removes the smell/taste. The previous owners put a carbon filter under the sink that connects to a separate tap next to the sink's main faucet. They must have never changed the filter on it because the water out the separate faucet that's supposed to be filtered stinks. They also left a refrigerator with filtered water out the door that they must have never changed either because that water also stinks. I haven't tried changing the filters yet, I just think it's weird that they don't change their filters. Just a note: I don't want to cover up the smell with filters, I want to find the problem and fix it. Especially considering the raw water is odorless.

If anyone has any idea what could be causing this or what can be done to fix it I would be forever grateful. Thanks

Edit: I forgot to mention, an extra bathroom was added upstairs sometime after the house was built by whoever the original homeowner's hired. The sink, shower and toilet function properly.
Also, I do not know exactly when the homeowners moved out before we moved in. They were probably out of the house for a month before we moved in. The utilities stayed on for sure but the house was not in use.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Musty smell in hot and cold water throughout entire house, but not in raw water
Author: Wheelchair (IL)

We don't know how long the house sat idle before you purchased it....
Have you considered taking a "clean" sample of the water to your provider to test? Does the odor disappear after a period of time? Do your neighbors have the same issues?

Best Wishes

Re: Musty smell in hot and cold water throughout entire house, but not in raw water
Author: Paul48 (CT)

I worked in Beaumont, Texas City, and Galveston years ago. Taking a shower in the motels, the water smelled like dirty feet. I don't know if it was related to the heat, but it was ripe.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.