Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Failure of Plastic connecting nut on toilet supply line
Author: CB (Non-US)

I have a home built in 1996 which utilizes Savard toilet supply lines with a plastic connecting nut and a flexible stainless steel supply hose. Last evening (luckily I was home) the plastic nut sheared in two and separated from the toilet bowl spraying water at a high velocity in the bathroom. Fortunately I was able to stop the flow within a couple of minutes resulting in minimal damage but it highlighted the risk to me of this situation. I subsequently removed the hose and examined the plastic nut which had sheared apart. Further investigation on the internet has highlighted that certain of these supply lines were manufactured with defective plastic nuts that over time could fail causing catastrophic water damage. It appears that it is the original supply line. The question I have for others is what type and brand of supply lines would be the highest quality in order to prevent a repeat of this situation. I would assume that stainless steel or brass fasteners would be highly preferable but it appears the vast majority of the toilet supply lines sold have plastic connection nuts. If so how often should one be replacing these lines to reduce the risk. I am also looking at installing a Water Cop system to further mitigate risk and I would welcome any thoughts from others on the toilet supply lines and Water Cop system. Thanks in advance.

Re: Failure of Plastic connecting nut on toilet supply line
Author: packy (MA)

if you are worried, replace with a chrome plated supply tube and brass fastening nut.

Author: hj (AZ)

Your supply line is not the correct brand or age for most of the failures. I have been using supply lines with plasltic nuts for decades and have had so few failures that I cannot remember when the last one was.The only time I replace them is when I replace the toilet fill valve.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

The stainless flex supply lines I use have a metal nut. I can only get them at a local plumbing supply store. The supply lines that the local home improvement stores sell all have the plastic nut.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

The stainless braid covered flex vinyl tube supply lines I use have a metal nut. I can only get them at a local plumbing supply store. The supply lines that the local home improvement stores sell all have the plastic nut.

Let's call stuff what it actually is and not fall prey to the manufacturer's carefully worded implications.

Vinyl tube is flexible.

Annealed (soft temper) copper tube is flexible. (speedy connector)

Pick one based on form and function, not on 'ease of installation, or advertising.

If the OP's work had been done 'good practice' he would not have had a problem with junk plastic nuts splitting (lucky he was home).

ps. the cheap plastic nut on the 'big box store' supply is to help prevent stripping of the cheap plastic shank on the cheap 'universal' fill valve'

one would want a Pro-45B model with a brass shank to avoid any 'exposed' plastic parts

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 2 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.