Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Tank and Pressure switch
Author: Baret (FL)

My new pressure tank came with 38psi. I changed it to 28psi to correspond with a new 50/30 Square D pressure switch on a 1 1/2hp Gould's pump. 2 problems arose it would not shut off. I turned it off at the power switch. I checked the tank its psi had changed back to 38psi its origin setting. I repeated this process each time; It wouldn't shut off at 50psi and just kept running. The tank psi had raised from 28psi to 38 psi again???

Possible the is a simple solution but it's beyond me. Any ideas? Thanks, Baret

Re: Tank and Pressure switch
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

The water pressure against the bladder is causing the air pressure increase.
You may need to back off the adjusting nut in the pressure switch so it'll cut off at 50 PSI.

Author: hj (AZ)

Once the pump is turned on the pressure in the tank WILL change to equal the water pressure. If you keep draining air from the tank to drop it to 28 psi eventually you will not have any air in the tank, but definitely not enough to give optimum performance. The tank's air pressure has absolutely NOTHING to do with the pump shutting off. If the pump does not shut off then it is because it is incapable of pumping to the 50 psi level, which is why it is only 38 psi.

Edited 1 times.

Thanks to NC Plummer, I turned the small nut on the Square D switch ccw. The pressure gauge lowered the cut-off to 45psi and the pump turned off. That apparently lowered the turn-in pressure to approximately 24psi also. Does the cut-in to the cut-off follow like a bracket?

Author: hj (AZ)

The cut in is a "differential", NOT a set pressure so unless it is adjusted it will always lower the same amount as the cut out pressure adjustment. If you do not adjust the tank pressure, although you may have done that as you let air out, you will have a momentary "dead spout" where there in no water in the system just before the pump starts.

Thank you and those that responded to my post I appreciate each of you.

hj you were right on the button as it regards the pumps ability to pump 50psi. Completely removed the water from the tank. Lowered the cut-off to about 44psi run the water down to about 24 and the water came on. I move in a Hover-round and step away with a cane that's for my "abouts" I couldn't get down to the gauge. I called a plumber and had it all correct. Thank you and those that responded to my post I appreciate each of you. Thank you. smiling smiley

Edited 1 times.

Thank you smile

North Carolina Plumber, thank you for your assistance. Had I been able to get down and do what you said I'd have saved some $ Thank you smiling smiley

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.