Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Moen 130156 thermostatic cartridge in S3371
Author: yottabit (OH)

This is a Moen S3371 first-gen (pre-2009) model. The only way to get hot water is to almost completely close the cold water stop on the housing. Have received replacement cartridge 130156.

Customer service line says the cartridge pulls out of the body once the handle adapter ring (130142) is removed, but it does not. The new cartridge clearly shows threads that would screw into the body, but customer service says they don't. I'd like a second opinion. Please see the three attached pictures with drawings and description of the problem.

Is there a removal tool? Does it really pull straight out of the body even though the cartridge has threads? Do I need to use an extractor bit?

Pictures with drawings/descriptions: [www.dropbox.com]

Thanks, everyone!

Re: Moen 130156 thermostatic cartridge in S3371
Author: hj (AZ)

I have never used or repaired that model, but if it just "pulls out" then the next question would be "what holds it in, in that case?" But, if it unscrews, there is normally provision to "grab it" and turn it.

The handle adapter nut screws onto the body and would hold the cartridge into the housing.

I just don't buy the fact that the cartridge has threads, and they aren't used... and this is a proper fine-thread, not just a few ribs.

I've ordered a large extractor bit, so it will come out one way or another! But I was afraid to pull on the cartridge any more for fear of damaging the housing/body.

Alright, received the extractor bit in the mail. Sure enough, this first-generation cartridge is indeed threaded. Moen customer support is clueless, so beware. I'm documenting this all here because no where else on the Internet or in the Moen service manuals is it documented, so hopefully when the next poor schmuck like me has to replace one of these cartridges they can search with Google and find this.

The extractor bit worked like magic. Very easy to remove the cartridge. With the new cartridge installed and everything back together, it's working perfect! Finally have hot water again!

Here are the photos again, now updated to show the internal threads on the housing, and the extraction bit. wink

Edited 2 times.

Author: DYIKENT (CA)

I have the same problem with my Moen S3371 shower control valve as yottabit (OH) and want to replace the cartridge. Can anyone tell me what size extractor bit is needed to remove the cartridge and where to buy one of these bits. Do you have to buy a set of these to get the size needed?

Author: NJfamilyguy (NJ)

Anybody ever tell you the size of the extractor bit needed?

Nope, never heard from anyone.

I've ordered the replacement cartridge so I can wait for it to come and figure that out when I receive it. My guess is that it's probably 3/4 or 1".

Author: Flynmonkey (KS)

The extractor kit made by Irwin Tools (on 52490). That particular extractor is an EX-8. Great blog! Really helped me out with this 1st gen Moen 130156 cartridge change.

Edited 1 times.

Author: jessdhampton (KS)

I drilled two small holes in the face across from each other. Then stuck the tips of needle nose pliers. in the holes and unscrewed it. I had to call Moen 3 times before I found out it had threads. Not all of their people know about the earlier model. One nice lady did and helped me out.

Author: teege (IL)

I used this method however my fixture was too tight to unscrew with the pliers alone. I gently used a punch and a hammer in one of the holes to loosen the fixture and was able to finish it with the pliers. Thanks for the suggestion and everything in this thread. I was fighting with this for a while, taking many cold showers or otherwise depriving my shower of cold water.

Author: AnalyticsDude (SC)

I'm not a plumber but was able to use this post to identify and fix my Moen shower issue after 3 months of lukewarm showers. The pictures and descriptions were great. I can't thank you guys enough for the information.

I thought I would pass along some info of my own for the next guy faced with this issue...

Symptoms: The temperature control gradually had less control of the temperature over time until it finally had no control. Luckily the default temperature was warm enough to be barely tolerable. Well, as least for me. The wife has been using the kids shower for the last 3 months.

Challenges:

1. Identifying the correct thermostatic cartridge. After disassembling the temp control, the only part number I could find on the value (in wall) was "126488". A google search identified this as an ExactTemp 3/4" Thermostatic valve; Model S3371. This link [www.moen.com] shows a diagram of the 1st and 2nd generation valves. Even though I bought my Moen shower parts in 2011, this diagram showed me I had a 1st generation valve that was discontinued in 2009. My only comment is that I bought the Moen shower parts from an online discount site. I guess that is the risk of buying from those sites. If I had the 2nd generation parts I probably would never had this issue.

2. I had a lot of trouble getting the cartridge out. That is where this blog came in so handy. I was able to use a 31/32" socket (didn't have a 15/16"winking smiley to remove the inner part of the cartridge. I didn't want to pay $77 for the Irwin Extractor set (the EX8 size is really hard to find) and was able to use a 3/4" chisel that happened to wedge perfectly inside the cartridge to loosen it enough to remove it.

Once I had it out I was ready to order the Moen 130156 thermostatic cartridge. I found it, it came in 3 days and worked perfectly once installed. I'd taken the assembly apart so many times I became a pro at calibrating the assembly for the right position and temperature.

BTW, on Moen's site I was only able to find the Moen 3371 ExactTemp Service Manual for the 2nd generation at [pro.moen.com]. I could not find one for the 1st generation. Some of the parts and tools needed are different for the 1st generation but it was still helpful at calibrating the temperature. I hope this info is helpful to others.

Edited 4 times.

Thank you! smileys with beer
Author: AliceT (SC)

I don't know how old this thread is since I don't see any dates but I wanted to thank the people who posted the very helpful information. Like the guy above me, I bought my 1st generation Moen shower valve in 2011. Mine had also stopped controlling the temperature. From the Moen site I found how to tell mine was first generation and then fortunately I found this thread with the very helpful information and the pictures and was I able to remove my old cartridge without any problems.

Edited 1 times.

Author: amaterplumber (UT)

I had the same problem removing the outer shell of the first generation S3371 cartridge. I phoned Moen and explained that I had the pre-2009 cartridge and emailed them a few photos of the situation I had. After some time on hold, the representative found someone who knew how to remove the outer shell. They recommend the McMaster-Carr item number 57195A541.

I needed to tap the extractor gently into the cartridge to hold it in place. The extractor removed the cartridge very easily. Although this is a tool that you will probably only use once, is well worth it.

Good luck!

Edited 1 times.

Author: luiswatts (MI)

2021 11 03 - I found an easier way to remove the cartridge without a screw or pipe extractor. Unscrew the center stem from the cartridge with 1" socket or crescent wrench. Apply permanent 271 Loctite to the threads. Reinsert center valve stem. Wait 20 minutes then use socket or wrench to unscrew the center stem and whole cartridge will come out. Hurray.

Author: Drj737 (NC)

I see no pics
Can you repost please

Author: Professor (TX)

I’m getting to be an expert in installing the Moen 130156 cartridge since I have replaced one twice. Begin by turning off the water to your house or to your shower only if possible. These are instructions may be more helpful than Moen’s website. But PLEASE, refer and read their website to identify parts in this article. First, remove the end cap on the cartridge valve using a small slotted screwdriver. Next, remove the red screw counter clockwise using a larger slotted screwdriver. Hold the handle with one hand steady, and with the other hand, turn the body counter clockwise several times until you can remove it. Next remove any face plate. At this point you will see the valve body. The cartridge is in the middle. First, remove the screw inside the override actuator. Rotate the override actuator counter clockwise and remove by pulling it out together with the spring. Remove the temperature limit stop by pulling it off. Next unscrew the retainer nut. It may or may not have a flat edge. If it has two flat edges use pliers. If not, use your hand. Either way, turn the retainer nut counter clockwise and remove. At this point you only have the cartridge to remove. Please do not use a pair of pliers (as suggested by Moen website) or an adjustable wrench. Use a 13/16 socket and turn counter clockwise until loose. Using your hands or pliers pull the cartridge out. This may take some force, but it will come out. Clean the inside of the valve body with a clean rag or power towels. It’s time to install your new cartridge. First, lubricate o rings with plumbers grease. Push new cartridge into valve body. Use the 13/16 socket, tighten securely, but not too much. Don’t use force. Screw on retainer nut clockwise until tight. Now you have three parts left, the temperature limit stop, a spring, and the override actuator. Here’s the tricky part. The override actuator fits inside the temperature limit stop with the spring in between. When properly assembled with the tab on back of the override actuator to the right of the raised lip on the front of the temperature limit stop they fit together perfectly. You will notice the override actuator can turn left or right inside the the temperature limit stop when holding them together. Here's how to proceed. Now separate the three parts. First, push in the temperature limit stop, followed by the spring, then the override actuator fitting together as stated above fitting perfectly together. Now place the screw in the override actuator and tighten the screw. Turn back on the main water to house or shower unit. Turn the override actuator to the left with your hands until it stops. Push in override actuator and turn counterclockwise until it stops (1/4 turn).Now turn on the water to your shower head and check the temperature with an accurate thermometer. It should be no more than 120 degrees Fahrenheit. If it’s higher, you will need to recalibrate. Refer to Moen website on how to do this. This basically involves repositioning the override actuator. You do NOT need to turn off water to the house or shower. Once you have recalibrated to the proper temperature of 120 degrees or less, you will need to reassemble the face plate and handle. Moen’s website will help. When you are finished this is how this shower assembly operates. Turn on the water to the shower head. Next turn temperature handle to the left until it stops. Now push in the button on handle and turn it more left up to 1/4 turn where it will stop. You are now overriding the temperature limit stop( around 110 degrees) allowing the water to get even hotter, but no more than 120 degrees. You will notice I have edited my post several times to add additional information I received from Moen’s customer service. They have been very prompt and helpful. Now, one final note. This valve cannot be adjusted to only dispense cold water. The cartridge is designed so that the hottest water is around 120 degrees and the coldest is around 80 degrees. Again, read Moen’s website on replacing this cartridge.
Hopefully this helps.

Edited 5 times.

Author: Professor (TX)

For photos and names of parts, go to : solutions.Moen.com. At that Moen website, look for information on cartridge 130156. There are several detailed instructions on removing the handle, replacing 130156, etc. My best.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.