Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 children scalded in bathtub
Author: packy (MA)

pretty serious stuff.
even water set to 130 deg will burn, just takes longer.
Two Lynn children were airlifted to Boston for medical treatment after being scalded in a bathtub this morning, authorities said.

Lynn District Fire Chief Steve Archer said the two brothers, one 18 months and one 3 years old, were scalded from hot water in the tub.

The younger boy sustained 50 percent second-degree burns on his body, while the older child sustained second-degree burns to 80 or 85 percent of his body.

The call came in at 7:14 a.m., police Lt. Thomas Reddy said. Reddy described the injuries as "serious burns" and declined to release further information pending the ongoing investigation.

Archer said upon arrival, the children were out of the bath tub and the kids' father was on scene. The injured children were taken by ambulance to Lynn English High School and then airlifted in separate helicopters to Massachusetts General Hospital.

At the scene, several people standing outside of a three-story apartment declined comment

Re: children scalded in bathtub
Author: Paul48 (CT)

We....As a society,have a responsibility to protect babies.I hope they are OK,we all failed them.

Author: hj (AZ)

WE cannot prevent "stupidity". Like the man who put his 3 children in the bathtub, turned on the water, then went to sleep. He woke up when water came out of the bathroom but by then the 3 month old had drowned.

Author: WC (VA)

The following guide is printed on the box for a "Hot Stop" anti-scald shower hand sprayer. Don't know if guide is accurate or not -- but something to think about.

LENGTH OF TIME FOR HOT WATER TO CAUSE 3rd DEGREE BURNS

Temp 100 F (Time for adult) Cool bath
Temp 100 F (Time for child under 5) Average bath

Temp 102 F (Time for adult) Average bath
Temp 102 F (Time for child under 5) Warm bath

Temp 105 F (Time for adult) Average hot tub/whirlpool
Temp 105 F (Time for child under 5) NOT recommended

Temp 120 F (Time for adult) 9.5 minutes
Temp 120 F (Time for child under 5) 4.5 minutes

Temp 125 F (Time for adult) 2 minutes
Temp 125 F (Time for child under 5) 1 minutes

Temp 130 F (Time for adult) 30 seconds
Temp 130 F (Time for child under 5) 10 seconds

Temp 135 F (Time for adult) 15 seconds
Temp 135 F (Time for child under 5) 4 seconds

Temp 140 F (Time for adult) 5 seconds
Temp 140 F (Time for child under 5) 1 second

Temp 150 F (Time for adult) 1.8 seconds
Temp 150 F (Time for child under 5) 0.5 second

Edited 1 times.

Author: m & m (MD)

"...even water set to 130 deg will burn, just takes longer..."

Is that # a typo, Packy? Water heaters come factory set (or factory recommended for setting) at 120*. I will not set a water heater thermostat above that. If the HO asks for hotter temps, I will explain the risk and then point them to the user manual on how to set the higher temp themselves.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

What a shame. Must be stupid week. Just read another article where a general contractor built a 1.8 million dollar residential home on private park land, in Boston. They may have to tear it down as moving it to a better location will ruin the environment.

I pray the innocent children survive without pain.
Best Wishes

Author: packy (MA)

mass code allows water temp as high as 130 deg F..
I usually set them at max allowable..
I just feel it is better to set at max allowed then to have it too cool and the homeowner adjusts it themselves and sets it way to hot.

Author: hj (AZ)

I had a friend who started to build a home on a mountain lot, years ago. The surveyor made a mistake and put it on the wrong lot. The owners wanted the lot restored to its "original" condition.

Author: hi (TX)

I have seen a child that died from scalding in the bath. I recommend that not setting the temp very high if any children are around.

The problem is...many health depts. are recommending 140* setting to kill Legionella. Thermostatic mixing valves should be required with all water heater installs.

Author: Plumbum (Canada)

Tragic

Ghandi said
Much is learned about a civilization by how it treats it's animals

But children?
What does that say about us collectively?

We can and must do better

Sorry for the soapbox

These things hurt my heart and should make us all do loving things to beautiful beings here

I don't feel much better about the incident, but I know I have a responsibility to do something

Edited 1 times.

If we were to ever meet someone from an advanced civilization, imagine trying to explain how this could happen.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.