Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Sweat joint questions
Author: mwr (IN)

I need to sweat a 3/4 ball joint. Is it best to solder both joints in one sitting or is it ok to allow one joint to cool first and come back later?

also

Sweating near a plastic filter housing. Im going to pre-solder a male adapter and thread it into the housing with Teflon tape. How close can the next joint be?

Thank you, have a nice weekend.

Re: Sweat joint questions
Author: packy (MA)

how close you can be from the plastic filter housing depends on your soldering skills and what size flame your torch has..
why not use a brass nipple and threaded ball valve?
solder a short piece of copper into a male adapter, when it cools, put teflon tape and pipe dope on it and screw it into a threaded ball valve. teflon tape and pipe dope on one end of the brass nipple and screw it into the other end of the ball valve. the other end of the brass nipple should only have teflon tape (unless your pipe dope specifically says "safe for plastic"winking smiley and carefully screw into filter housing.

That's a great idea. However, I am about 6-8" away from the filter cap to the place I need to solder an ell.

If I wrap all that up with wet rags, do you think 6" is to close (with the nipple and ballvalve in front of the plastic cap?)

To confirm, if I go the threaded valve route, I would put the valve together first ( ie nipple one end, male adapter the other) and then sscrew it into the filter housing....

what length nipple should I use?

Do I have to use brass? Can I use galvanized?

Edited 2 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

quote; Can I use galvanized?

Why would you want to? All that would do is introduce the possibility of rusting. As for soldering the valve, do it all at once since the valve body will already be 'warm' from the first joint.

Your right HJ... I was thinking of brass cost that's all. What size nipple should I use?

whatever you have room for.

Am I flirting with disaster soldering as close as I describe?

I cannot say because I do not know your abilities, but we do it all the time.

Author: m & m (MD)

Fill a spray bottle with water and have a helper spray down the area that cannot get hot the whole time that you are soldering.

What's a "helper"?

Author: m & m (MD)

Any one of the 92 million unemployed.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

helper:

"One who receives compensation to provide a braking effect on productivity."

smiling smiley

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Oh, you mean like an apprentice?

Author: fidleid (PA)

can't you use plastic pipe

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.