Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Whole house shut-off piping question
Author: ody10 (PA)

I have 3/4" copper supply from the street, running (alas) through a concrete slab. The supply emerges in the bottom of a closet. It was originally plumbed, just where it emerges, with a reducer fitting from 3/4" to 1/2", before the whole house shut-off valve. Next in the vertical run is a short bit of 1/2" pipe, and an elbow. Then in the horizontal run, a longer bit of pipe into another elbow, which is inside the back wall of the closet. The piping next goes up vertically inside the wall to the ceiling, where (presumably), the flow is split to the water heater and the cold supply.

I have (naturally) a pinhole leak just after the shutoff, which is also not closing off completely. The proposal, from a plumber, is to:
- Remove everything, starting from the original reducer on up to the second copper 1/2" elbow, inside the wall.
- Replace, starting where the 3/4" supply enters, with a 3/4" shut-off valve.
- Continue to the wall with a 3/4" elbow, 3/4" pipe, then a reducer to 1/2" at the elbow inside the closet wall.

The water pressure is usually very good - I don't have the actual psi number, but this is a public water system.

Is there any particular reason that someone would propose 3/4" all the way back to the wall, before reducing to 1/2"? Is this a code, or a pressure issue? (We generally do DIY, but this is a rental that we need to get back into service, so we'll probably hire a professional this time.)

Many thanks!

Re: Whole house shut-off piping question
Author: packy (MA)

if the old shutoff is not working it needs to be replaced. it is not that much more work to replace a few fittings and some pipe as well.

Author: hj (AZ)

The reason someone would propose to install 3/4" is because 1/2" pipe is a pitiful supply for anything other than a couple of faucets, and definitely NOT for an entire home. More than likely the reason you have the pinhole(s) is because the velocity in 1/2" tubing is so high that it erodes the inside of the pipe, especially at tees and elbows.

Edited 1 times.

Author: ody10 (PA)

hj - That's food for thought. Perhaps our long-range plan to convert to PEX should be moved up on the list. We've got a slight problem with acidity in the water, and no place to easily put a treatment system. Thanks.

Edited 1 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

Cu tube needs 2 conditions to last:

1 - proper flow velocity = 6 feet per second or less, 3-4 recommended

2 - sliiiiightly alkaline water

+ recommended, but not required

3 - quality ASTM rated "L" tube

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: hj (AZ)

quote; 3 - quality ASTM rated "L" tube

WE have been using type "M" copper since the 60s in residential buildings.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

then the flow velocity (proper sizing) becomes MORE important as there is a 'thinner' wall

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: dw85745 (AZ)

I did a bit of research on pinhole leaks in copper.
I know Montgomery county, MD has had a big problem with it.
From what I recall, water velocity in the pipe has nothing to do with it.

I believe the final determination on pinhole copper leaks is the PH of the water.
The closer to pH-7 (neutral) the better. What was happening as I recall, is as
the pH changed up or down, any solids in the water would tend to settle and latch onto the pipe wall. Hence horizontal runs always had more problem then vertical. Once the solids latched on the pipe wall, they would start an oxidation process (for lack of a better term) and then eat the pipe from the inside out. Naturally with "L" instead of "M", since the pipe wall is thicker, it would take longer to eat through the wall, but that does NOT stop the problem from occurring.
Only changing the pH seems to have resolved the underlying problem. I believe most water companies now understand this and do a good job to try and control the pH, If your on well water that is another issue.

My2Cents

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.