Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Sink Drain Assembly wont allow sink to hold water
Author: nicksmith879011 (NJ)

I'm new to these assemblies and I have a wash sink that is freely releasing water no matter where I turn the drain lever, any help or tips would be greatly appreaciated.

Re: Sink Drain Assembly wont allow sink to hold water
Author: hj (AZ)

Well, if we knew what "one of those assemblies" looked like we might be able to help.

I'll take a picture as soon as the restaurant manager arrives. A little backround, I recently was hired as the Mechanic for a food court of 9 restaurants and my backround is extended stay hotels, my managers knew this, so I'm attempting to master the learning curve and wrap my mind around all these new things.

[imgur.com] These are pictures of the stopper assembly, I've taken it apart and visually can't see why it is no longer stopping the drain when turned properly.

Author: packy (MA)

if you are turning the lever side to side that is not how it operates..
the lever moves up and down which raises or lowers the drain stopper..

As far as I know it's a spinning one, it works slightly, when you turn it all up, or all down it drains, when turned to the left or right it stops the drainage partially but not fully.

Author: packy (MA)

i never saw one that closed/open by shifting the lever left/right ???
up/down just like a bathroom pop-up drain...

The majority of them operate by rotation. Some use a rotary slotted cylinder and others operate a "pop up" plug. The pop up units have an "O" ring to seal and that often deteriorates and falls off. The closest drain has an "overflow" connection which is capped off. The other ones have a "boss" on the rear which is probably the bearing for the handle to operate a popup one. Remove the strainer grid to see if you have a popup unit. If so, unfasten the packing nut and remove the handle, then lift the popup out. The "O" ring will probably be wrapped around it instead of being in the groove at the top. Get new "O" rings and install them.

Edited 1 times.

Thanks, mine is actually a rotation so ill pop the drain lid and check underneath to see why the mechanism isn't working.

Like I said, the rotation will pop it up, but without the "O" ring it will not seal properly.

So that one somehow miraculously fixed itself during my disassembly. However I now have another one with the same issue, and not only is the o-ring intact, but its like new. I dis-assembled the whole unit and removed it from the bottom of the sink and it appears tight, but when I placed it back on the sink there is slight drainage no matter what setting. Unless there's some tinkering suggestions you guys have, I'm considering replacing both of them so this issue doesn't keep popping up.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.