Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Water Filling Cartridge Cavity
Author: Rick Laser (CA)

We have a Kohler Fairfax Roman tub faucet. Today while a plumber was here changing out our water heater tank, I was asked to turn on the upstairs tub hot water side to clear the air out of the system once he was done. I noticed a little rust at the base of the hot water side faucet handle.

I took off the hot water faucet handle and the cartridge cavity was filled with water (totally covering the cartridge). There was no water leaking from the spout. The cold water side was fine.

I had a spare hot water side cartridge and it was changed out. No water filled the cavity after the water was turned back on but I'll keep an eye on this. Might be a slow leak. He said that if it continues to fill up then the problem is below the cartridge and he would have to cut into tub tile to access it. He said otherwise water could leak through the floor beneath the tub. I thought whatever is under the cartridge is always under pressure and the cartridge has nothing to do with that. But I'm no plumber.

Have you seen this kind of thing before? I emailed Kohler about this too.

Also, while he was here the hot water side cartridge came out easily, but using the same counter clockwise effort the cold water cartridge seemed to be stuck. He asked me to contact Kohler to see if maybe the cold water side cartridge needs to be removed with a clockwise rotation. He didn't want to force it.

Thanks.

Re: Water Filling Cartridge Cavity
Author: hj (AZ)

Apparently he knows how to replace water heaters buy knows NOTHING about repairing faucets. The water in the "cavity" HAD to come from the cartridge/stem, NOT underneath the faucet, and ALL faucet stems remove by rotating counter clockwise. The cold is tight, but the hot water was NOT, which is why it leaked and came out easily.

Thanks. Makes good sense.
Author: Rick Laser (CA)

Thanks. Makes good sense.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Water Filling Cartridge Cavity
Author: packy (MA)

i agree with my friend from AZ...
lever handle stems oppose eachother when turning on/off and round handle stems turn the same direction on/off but they ALL remove the same direction. (lefty loosey, righty tighty)

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.