Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 OOPS where is the cleanout?
Author: sum (FL)

So I decided to redo the kitchen island drains and supply lines.

The 2" drain came up through the slab floor - no vent. Bunch of sharkbite elbows.

BEFORE:

Since the floor is slab I have no choice but use an AAV so I ran two separate p-traps unstead of uniting them with a center tee.

After it's done I realized I didn't put in a cleanout. So I guess I need to take it apart. Where is the best place to insert a CO?

Is there a fitting like a double san tee, but instead of back to back, they are 90 degrees to each other?

Or should I do the double wye sitting horizontal with two drains and a middle CO?

Can't believe with all the posts I read here about not putting in a CO I forgot to do one.

Edited 1 times.

Re: OOPS where is the cleanout?

By the way, I was looking for a dual shutoff valve 1/2" compression inlet and two 3/8" outlets one for faucet one for dishwasher. How come Brasscraft dones't make those in quarter turns?

Author: hj (AZ)

I am not sure about Brasscraft, but some companies do make them. The cleanout goes between the upper tee and the AAV.

Author: m & m (MD)

No cleanout needed now that the job is done. Just remove disposer trap arm and snake thru trap adaptor.

So can I just cut the pipe above the top san tee and insert a test tee there with a CO plug or will that be too high?

m & m I was thinking the CO would face outward, instead of turned to face wherever the p-traps were facing due to the locations of the drains, and it would be 2" instead of 1-1/2".

That will be fine.

Should I set the AAV as high as possible inside the counter?

Since the AAV is a solvent weld connection and if it breaks I need to cut it and put in a new one. If I have to replace it three times in 10 years I might run out of pipe right?

Author: m & m (MD)

Yes, the AAV goes as high as it can under the countertop.

When it is time to replace the AAV (I have yet to replace one), you could then install a no hub coupling.

Author: Fixitangel (NC)

Sum, check our sponsor. 1/4 turn dual outlet compression stop valves (Eastman):

Author: dlh (TX)

Fixitangel, that is illegal in my area. each fixtures has to have it's own valve

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

After you cut this one out, replace it with one with a glue on adapter and screw in thread, so you don't have to worry about running out of pipe.

Author: hi (TX)

Does anyone put the kitchen cleanout on the outside wall? seems to me to make sense if it is close.

I think the issue would be a CO would be an eyesore if it is placed in a accessible spot with room to operate. Even with a CO access cover it is not too appealing. In my case the dishwasher is to the left so that is out.

ALWAYS, even when the sink is on an inside wall. It makes it easier to access if you do not have to fight a bunch of items and a garbage disposer to reach it.

quote; Even with a CO access cover it is not too appealing.

Even if that were so, most people get over it in a matter of days and do not even notice it any more. Usually they have a piece of furniture in front of it and would not know where it was if I asked them.

Author: hi (TX)

HJ
Do you ever use a wider pipe necked down to the drain pipe to improve the snake access to the drain pipe.

NO, never had a reason to do that.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.