Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Sewer smell in basement
Author: PkrNzi (WV)

My house was built in the 1930s. The basement has been finished with tile and carpetted areas.

We have a common occurence of sewer smell in the basement. I know of two places that this might be comming from:

1) PVC drain pipe from the bathroom sink slips into an iron pipe and there is no slip ring or gasket on that connection. Sometimes it seems this is the source of the smell

2) A drain in the concrete floor of the former garage was filled with cement. Other times, it seems this is the source of the smell.

I really don't want to tear up the floor to access these areas unless its the only way to fix this problem.

My suggested solution is to dig up the sewer pipe outside the foundation of the house and put in a p-trap on the main line. Will this work or will it cause other nastier problems like plugged lines?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Re: Sewer smell in basement
Author: m & m (MD)

Item # 1 is a definite problem and needs to be corrected. After correcting it, see if the smell disappears. If not, move on to # 2.

Author: packy (MA)

if he is describing the tailpiece sticking into the trap with no slip nut, that is a problem but should have nothing to do with a smell. it is on the inlet side of the trap if i read the post correctly?

Author: nad

The option of installing a "house trap" on the main sewer lateral can cause even more problems of blockages. I'm not sure but i dont think that the main plumbing codes allow them? Local codes might allow them under certain circumstances.

Given the nothing but bad news that i've heard about them i'd steer clear of installing one.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.