Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Interesting mystery with my outdoor shower
Author: greg11 (FL)

I had hot and cold lines run outside of my house by drilling through the brick so I could have an outdoor shower.

Here's the weird part: the hot comes out hot, but then turns cold. if you turn the cold all the way off, the hot either shuts down like there is a vacuum or starts running cold. yes, that is right, the cold will be completely off, the hot will be on and cold water is coming out.

if you fiddle with it just right by turning the hot all the way on and the cold on a little bit you can get a comfortable water temperature but after a minute or so it starts getting cold and you have to go back to fiddling with it in an effort to get the right combination. It is frustrating because you are standing in very cold water while you are trying to get it correct again.

the nearest i can tell is that there is some weird vacuum going on because some times when the hot is on but the cold is not it makes a whimper noise and nothing comes out. very strange.

Please let me know if you know how to fix this. thanks.

Re: Interesting mystery with my outdoor shower
Author: bernabeu (SC)

either a bad shower assembly or gremlins

remove the shower and see if the actual 'taps' work properly

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: hj (AZ)

Is this a single handle shower faucet or one with 2 handles?

It is two handles and I used spigots that you normally see with outdoor hoses.

How are they connected together? What you describe is almost impossible with properly installed individual faucets, so the implication is that there is some problem with the way they are connected to the house plumbing.

well the connections to the inside are covered by sheetrock on the inside and brick on the outside. Two pipes come out from the brick, each goes to its own spigot. from there they run to a 'T" that turns the two pipes into one which leads to the shower head.

I agree that the idea that cold water is coming out when only the hot is on does not make any sense. Also, the hot and cold are not reversed as the cold is always cold when only it is on.

Again with the hot on and the cold off, often nothing will come out at all.

quote; Again with the hot on and the cold off, often nothing will come out at all.

You do realize that that is almost impossible when each water line has its own valve, unless you have "something" else in the system we do not know about.

hj,

? could it be a 'balancing spool' issue ?

? do the 'latest' outdoor assemblies now have spools ?

HE said he has two "hose bibbs" with a tee pipe between them. There is NO balancing spool in a Mickey Mouse setup like that.

may not be 'mickey mouse'

may be improper terminology on the OP's side

he may have a 'retrofit' one piece assembly designed for washing machine hose hook-up

(I remember seeing one, but, naturally, can't find it now!)

POST A PICTURE as per: [www.plbg.com]

Edited 1 times.

quote; It is two handles and I used spigots that you normally see with outdoor hoses.

This is all we have to go by.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.