Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Losing Water and Pressure from Well Tank Solved
Author: bobbie (NY)

About a year ago I called a plumber to have him replace my deep well check valve,

as I was losing tank pressure and the pump was kicking in more than it should. He

had to take out about 75 feet of piping to get to it. Just in case, I also had him

replace my small, old tank. That tank probably held about 5 gallons of water. My

new one is twice that size. Anyways, everything was fixed and I slept better, until

about about a month ago.

My pump will kick in once every three hours without any water usage. So I figured

about 3 gallons per hour were going back down the well. It's no real biggie, but it

gets to be stressful hearing that pump go on when you are trying to get some sleep. So after about a month of that built-up stress, I decided to unplug the pump at night. I never imagined that I would lose every ounce of water from the tank and the pump itself.

When I woke up and plugged the pump back-in, it would go on without pumping up any water. I lost all the prime. It took me about an hour to get it primed. I used 3-4 gallons of water. The pressure just would not go above certain psi because of air in the pipes. In order to bleed the air out, water comes out too. So the basement got wet! I thought at least I got it back to where it was the night before: working pump, working water tank, with water draining back into the well.

Miracle happened after I got the pump running again. For some reason, I am no longer losing water pressure. If the tank reads 35 psi (or whatever psi), it stays that way. I have no idea what I did, but whatever I did solved the problem of water flowing back into the well. I must have un-irritated or undone something bad without even realizing it.

It really did solve my problem. So, if your system is losing pressure from water going back into the well or something of that nature, why don't you do what I did. I have no idea if that will work for you. All I know is that it worked for me!

Re: Losing Water and Pressure from Well Tank Solved
Author: m & m (MD)

It was your lucky day, nothing more. Your foot valve for whatever reason was not seating properly and allowing water to escape back to the well. Whatever was lodged, washed out and now it is back to seating properly. Good deal!!

Re: Losing Water and Pressure from Well Tank Solved
Author: WC (VA)

If your problem returns:

You may consider installing another high quality bronze inline spring check valve in your pump discharge line -- above ground near to but before your pressure tank

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.