Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 New Dishwasher
Author: Aferman (AL)

I am going to be installing a new dishwasher. I do not have the space in the kitchen to install into one of the cabinets next to the sink, nor is there space diagonal to the sink. I am planning on drilling a hole through the wall directly behind the sink and eventually make that area an island. Not the ideal placement, but there are really no other options. I am not the handiest person, far better then my husband though, but I can pretty much figure how to do make it work. I have repaired a few pipes already as I have an older home and do e some minor electrical work around the house. For making the hole I believe a spade bit should suffice in making the hole size I need. Are there any other things I should prepare myself for or suggestions?

Re: New Dishwasher
Author: m & m (MD)

Have you considered a portable dishwasher?

I have one, it never has worked right and kind of burnt me I the idea of getting another one.

Author: Fixitangel (NC)

There's alot more involved than drilling a hole with a spade bit to install a dishwasher.
Without seeing what you have and how it's laid out, it's impossible to give you the best advice.

Author: hj (AZ)

quoe; There's alot more involved than drilling a hole with a spade bit to install a dishwasher.

If it is going on the wall behind the sink then that is true, because it may need THREE holes, and a cabinet framework around it.

Exactly. Without some framework, when the door is opened and racks loaded, the whole thing will tip over.

We will be putting in cabinets because the current kitchen is just too small and there is no space for hardly anything. No matter what happens a hole is going to have to be put through the wall. If I get the dishwasher in and realize I can do it, which I will assess before actually screwing with anything, it's just hard to do when it's not sitting here for me to look at, I will call someone to install. I am not afraid to say I can't do something and get someone in who can. The kitchen itself was an addition to the house so it won't surprise me to find something I can't do.

Most dishwashers need a space about 34" high x 24" wide x 25" deep to mount in existing cabinets. I've had to use various saws to make the opening before. If you must put it on the other side of a wall and need to drill thru for your Drain, water supply and/or electical feeds, check that there are no outlets nearby. I would drill a test pilot hole with a small 1/4" dia bit to make sure you are not drilling into a stud before using the big bit. A stud finder is useless on plaster and lathe walls.

That is not the only problem. WIthout a "framework" there are a lot of exposed wires and connections underneath it.

quote; A stud finder is useless on plaster and lathe walls.

Not if you use a good one.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.