Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Cleanout
Author: Tramaine (CT)

Hello, I have a Ranch style home, built in the 1950's with a shower and toiled in the basement of the house. Around March I suddenly started having issues with the upstairs toilet where the toilet stated overflowing and then when flushing would gurgle. After a period of a few weeks and snaking the toilet it appeared to be working fine, however, one day after checking downstairs I noticed water was coming up from underneath the basement toilet, at that point I decided to contact a plumber, on the day before the plumber was to arrive I noticed a brown substance coming up from the shower drain and muddy water in the toilet. The next day when the plumber arrived I advised him of the issue. He decided to snake the floor cleanout and I recall an earthy smell when he removed he cleanout plug. The plumber had me to run water in the downstairs shower flush the toilet and run the water from the laundry stink, it appear once he removed the cap, the was a small back up be everything appeared to be working and there was no backing up in the shower nor any brown water in the toilet. He snaked the main line through the floor (basement cleanout) and almost immediately hit something, but wasn't sure what it was, he continued the snaking until he hit street. While retrieving the device, there was a small amount of root. Since the original plug was plastic he advised me there should be a metal cap, because the mainline pipe is clay. He had one in his truck and put it on. I cleaned the area of the floor cleanout after he left and started noticing that earthly smell about a day later. I thought perhaps the plug wasn't securely fastened to the main line pipe. I recently purchased a new plug (metal) to replace the plug the plumber had attached. I'm baffled as I can't figure out what is causing this smell. Should I pour water in the basement cleanout? I'm not sure what I need to do and looking for assistance on trying to determine what is causing this odor.

Thank you.

Re: Cleanout
Author: packy (MA)

i question why a metal plug would be necessary if the pipe is clay? plastic is fine..
anyway. if you have clay pipe then that is no doubt the problem.
two options are..
send a sewer camera down the clean pipe for a video inspection
have someone perform a smoke test to look for leak/s.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.