Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Hole in kitchen sink vent
Author: mwr (IN)

My wife and I were cleaning the roof vent for our kitchen sink. When I freed the obstruction, I think I saw two holes in the bottom (elbow) of the vent. I may have poked them with the auger tip.

This is not the main vent stack. Its for the kitchen sink. Does this need repairing and if so, any tips?

Edited 1 times.

Re: Hole in kitchen sink vent
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

If there are holes , they need repairing. Rain water will leak and could cause mold and mildew. Sewer odors can escape as well. Measure down to where you see the holes, open up the wall and replace the bad pipe and or fittings.

Thanks for the suggestion that saved me a lot of trouble.
Author: mwr (IN)

Thanks for telling me to measure. I went back up on the roof and stuck a tape down the pipe. I was ready to cut into a cabinet and wall to access it where I estimated it would be. I would have been 6' under the elbow.

Instead I was able to get in the attic and find the 90' bend and I must have been seeing things inside the pipe when I thought I made two holes. I got as close as I could to the joint and did not feel any holes nor saw any (in the dark have you) with my mirror and flashlight.

So thanks again for the simple suggestion that saved me a lot of trouble.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Thanks for the suggestion that saved me a lot of trouble.
Author: bernabeu (SC)

what you saw was probably a reflection in the slight puddle trapped by the elbow

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.