Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Drain Body for Shower Pan Trench Drain
Author: jmiller (CO)

Hello,

I am installing a tile redi shower pan with a trench drain. The trench is integrated into the pan so all that is left is a 3" female threaded diameter hole to install the drain to connect to the p trap. I seem to be having issues locating something that will fit into the drain opening as the sides of the trench and pan meet the drain opening without any additional space around it ie. a 4 inch drain strainer doesn't fit. The drain opening takes up the full depth of the trench. Should I be looking for a drain strainer top that is less than 3" in diameter but that has threads to fit a 3" drain? I can't see any other way to make it work but haven't come across a drain assembly that meets those specs. THe manufacturer hasn't responded to my inquiries, yet. I'd like to stick with standard pvc options. Thanks for the assistance.

Re: Drain Body for Shower Pan Trench Drain
Author: packy (MA)

i'm not sure what you are describing??
is it like this?

The outlet pipe that is attached to the trench drain in the photo is what I need to construct. In my situation there is no pipe already attached to the trench drain channel. Rather, there are threads inside the hole in the trench for some sort of fitting.

Author: steve (CA)

If the hole is threaded, is a 3" male threaded adapter suppose to screw into it?

Here's a link to the actual drain.

[m.flickr.com]

Author: packy (MA)

that looks to me like a plain ole 2" compression shower drain.

the plastic pipe slides up from the bottom and a rubber donut seals it to the drain from above.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Have you considered contacting the manufacturer of your shower assembly? They might be able to offer you tangible suggestions to fit your application.

Best Wishes

Thanks, but that won't work with this application.

Author: steve (CA)

It looks like an integral no-calk drain. Check this youtube video(skip ahead to 3:30).
[www.youtube.com]

Author: hj (AZ)

I am not really sure what you are asking. The trench drain cover IS the strainer so you do not put another one over the outlet pipe.

Author: dlh (TX)

i agree with packy, it looks like the rubber bushing is torn so that may need to be replaced but basically you should have to cut the pipe to depth and slide the drain onto it

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

Thanks for the responses smile

Okay, thanks for the responses. I will just show the pic when I stop by a plumbing supply store. It's a brand new shower pan - nothing is damaged.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Thanks for the responses

I finally got in contact with the company - as it turns out there is nothing aside from the stubbed up 2" pvc pipe and pvc glue to complete the drain. I was instructed to set the height of the pvc pipe 1-1.5" above the bottom of the drain. It seems unusual that I only need glue and the pvc pipe, but the rep assured me that is how it should be done. When asked about the threads and other features I saw in the integrated drain, he said those were there because they were necessary on their other models, but not on this trench drain setup.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.